The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Problems with Sort Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have only had access to the alpha for about a week now, so I am just starting get all of my tasks entered into the system.

I am seeing an unexpected behavior:

Since I started by simply getting my tasks in and assigned to projects and contexts, my next step was to start entering in some start and due dates.

I entered a due date in one of my inbox items. After this happened, I expected the task to jump to the top of the list (since none of the other tasks had any due date, in my mind the item with a due date should take highest priority). Is it not supposed to jump to the top? Do others agree with this behavior?

So then I set the filter to sort by "Due". Still no change.

Next I tried setting a start date. No change in sort of the items. I changed the sort filter to "Start". No change in sort of items.

I jumped to context view and back to project view. Still no change.

Thinking maybe because this was an Inbox issue, I tried some due and start dates in some project tasks. Still no change in sort display.

Is this part still not implemented?
Is this work as designed?
Is the only way to sort items manual? That can't make sense, cause you have a sort filter...

There are other folks here who can probably speak a little more definitively, but I know a lot of the date-related functionality is still being implemented. I wouldn't be completely surprised if the UI was in place for date sorting, but not completely functional yet.

Welcome to pre-beta testing. ;-)

Sorting currently does not work in the inbox. It only works for tasks within projects.

Okay, poking about more in the developer task database, I found an entry that says that we're only going to sort projects by date in 1.0; it seems likely that we'll change that in some future build, but for the time being what you saw wasn't actually a bug.

The post about suggests that sorting should work within projects, but as noted in the original message on this thread, it does not. I find that it works in the context view, but not in the project view.

Back to the original question: bug, unimplemented, or "feature"?

Thanks for the great work BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Okay, poking about more in the developer task database, I found an entry that says that we're only going to sort projects by date in 1.0; it seems likely that we'll change that in some future build, but for the time being what you saw wasn't actually a bug.
I, too, am an alpha novice. Things seemed to going well until I started filling in dates and trying to sort. Now I see it's because my OmniFocus has a numerous clients (aka folders), 1-4 projects per client, and a growing number of actions (and nested actions) per project.

Sorting at all levels (folder down thru nested actions) has just moved to the #1 position in my OmniFocus 1.0 wish list.