The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Will there ever be an Omniweb 6? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpel View Post
With url-manager do you use? I use BookIt but I'm looking for another that supports Firefox 3 sync'ing. Thanks. :)
BookDog http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27095

I haven't had a single problem with FF3 and Bookdog.

I posted this in the feature request thread too, but it's so important I'll say it twice. Please, please, please turn web history into a tree or DAG view. Linear history drives me bonkers in every browser. OmniWeb could be the first fully-featured browser to have this feature!

If you want to see more about how this could work, there's a prototype put together a few years ago by students at UIUC: http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/macwarriors/...s/trailblazer/

That's a bit of overkill IMHO. A simple history view like in Safari would suffice. That, and the fact you can do a full-text search of history is enough to find stuff. I don't need or want thumbnails. Safari offers thumbnails with Safaristand, and while it impresses onlookers, it's no more useful than a good text search/chronological view.

Just a little sign of life would be nice.

"Yesy, we are currently working on Omniweb 6". Or something?

Omniweb looks quite dead to me. :(

I just bought OW5, and would buy OW6 if it got out tomorrow. It is, simply put, one of the best browser on the net today. But it's aging quickly, and it's starting to show. a word from the dev would be nice, a dev blog better :p

I think, OW will never die. If so the Dev-Team could make it open source. I guess, they are not sure of what they are do in future. Either there will be a pleasant surprise or an announcement to make it "free"... i hope so ;-)

FWIW, OmniWeb did have a tree history mode way, way back in the day (so maybe we _were_ the first to have that), but it was generally considered pretty confusing. We didn't find a way at the time to address the confusion, and we ultimately just removed it. Feel free to email in feedback asking for the functionality - we always take feedback into account when working on releases.

Regarding the status of OmniWeb 6. I just wanted to remind readers of this thread that Ken Case (our CEO) has commented on the status of OmniWeb in a link above:

http://waffle.wootest.net/2008/11/16...#comment-10211

We are not ignoring OmniWeb in any way, we just lack the resources to have it in full time development mode right now. OmniWeb is something that every one of us here at the office would like to see updated we just don't know when.

I apologize for our silence on the subject but it's no fun telling people we don't have anything to show over and over. I'm very much looking forward to the day when we do have something for you all to see!