The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Accepting applications to beta test the Omni Sync Server Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would love to test this, even though I do use MobileMe. It would really be great if Graffle, Outliner and Plan could also use an optional database format, with a "save as" or "export" option to create flat files, and sync the database between iMac and iPad as well... really, all you'd need to do is make a basic database with a blob field that just stores the flat file data; really, you could just add that as a "share on OmniServer" option for uploading and then use on the iPad... anyway... count me in!

I'd like to just say that syncing with the Omni Sync Server has been flawless.

Last year, I was hanging on the Mobile Me just for syncing Omnifocus, but I eventually decided it wasn't worth the cost. The I switched to WebDav for awhile, but was really hoping for Dropbox compatibility. Now I dont need either. Great implementation, guys!

I'm a new beta tester and just switched over from SwissDisk to the new Omni Sync Server.

I have a very small database of tasks and for some reason it seems to take a long time (a lot longer than SwissDisk) to synchronize on my iPhone 4 app.

(I will note that pushing the sync button on my Mac OF syncs near instantly.)

Am I alone? Thoughts?

Fireproof, depending on where you're located geographically, you may be getting a faster connection to the SwissDisk servers than ours.

(We're in Seattle; I'm not sure where the SD guys keep their servers. A forum visitor mentioned them being a Las Vegas-based organization in another thread, but that may just be a business office or something.)

Thanks Brian. I'm in Dallas and that could be it.

I'll continue to monitor it. Given that I can do other things while it's syncing, it hasn't been a show stopper yet. Just thought I would mention it.

Also, with the iPhone 4 and multi-tasking, it should continue to sync even if I get out of the application and go address an email or something, correct?

Some forms of network access appear to work in the background - apps can finish an upload they've already started, for example, or keep a streaming music connection going - but thus far, we haven't been able to get the level of network access OmniFocus needs to do sync in the background. We file the upload/download requests, but they get paused when another app comes forward.

We're going to take another look at this once OmniFocus for iPad is finished. Until then, sync just suspends itself, then resumes later.

I wish it would support sync to DropBox. I trust their Amazon S3 backend. Plus, you can get a free 2GB account.

I just signed up, looking forward to checking it out.
I'd love to see this support syncing of the entire Omni suite of apps. With all the complexity of syncing OF databases, it seems trivial in comparison to have OO and OG files synced so we can have one place for all our Omni needs. This is especially true as you roll out all the iPad and iPhone apps. You guys really need to offer one point of connection for all of these that can be accessed anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
I'm a new beta tester and just switched over from SwissDisk to the new Omni Sync Server.

I have a very small database of tasks and for some reason it seems to take a long time (a lot longer than SwissDisk) to synchronize on my iPhone 4 app.

(I will note that pushing the sync button on my Mac OF syncs near instantly.)

Am I alone? Thoughts?
Fireproof,

I am located in Toronto, ON, Canada, and I am experiencing same very slow sync issue. On my laptop the sync takes maybe 2 seconds. On my iPhone 3G, a direct sync to the OmniFocus on my MacBook used to take at most 15 seconds when there were lots of changes. Now, synchronization takes up to 10 minutes and sometimes I get a "server timed out" error.

Another interesting point: my database was 200kb in size before I switched over to Omni Sync Server. Now it is almost 400kb.

Last edited by MarcinK; 2010-08-17 at 04:35 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcinK View Post
Another interesting point: my database was 200kb in size before I switched over to Omni Sync Server. Now it is almost 400kb.
Interesting, I just performed another sync on my desktop and watched my OF db grow to almost 600kb and drop back to 200kb. I guess this is just normal synchronization behaviour