The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
New OmniWeb Product Icon Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
We tried centering the Pacific, but then you see hardly any land except Hawaii--the Pacific is just too big.

We did at one point consider using the time zone setting on your computer (including city location) to orient the globe and render it on the fly... (the artists weren't too happy with that idea since they like to tweak the pixels afterwards)
Just to clarify, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was upset it was Atlantic-centric, just that no matter what part of the globe it focuses on, the majority of the globe will be barely visible or not visible at all.

The rotating globe idea sounds interesting, but I don't know how much works it takes.
 
Yes, Len, It's amazing when you visit another country how the world maps look so different than you are used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Personally, I never really liked that icon - the shading always looked a little weird to me. I much preferred Rickster's Blue and Ice one for colour scheme and style (but it is too US [Edit: Americas-] centric for a world.wide.web application):

I like the logo above also: crisp, cool, and fresh. The colors and shadows are great. Because of the varioius "world views" I'm thinking it needs to be more abstract.


like Camino:

without the compass.

Or ATT:

which is a bit much.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
We did at one point consider using the time zone setting on your computer (including city location) to orient the globe and render it on the fly... (the artists weren't too happy with that idea since they like to tweak the pixels afterwards)
Brilliant, even if it was not used.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
<snip>... just that no matter what part of the globe it focuses on, the majority of the globe will be barely visible or not visible at all.<snip>
A view from the geometric North pole would get most of the Earth's land mass, as the majority is in the Northern hemisphere. Not so sure the antipodeans would appreciate it though! :p
 
I'll vote for a change too...

FWIW Speaking as a European (ahem) the world map with the US in the middle always looked odd to me. You have to chop the rest of the world's landmass in half. Something odd about that...

But hey.

I like the idea of an icon that writes itself on installation... and then changes if it detects a new timezone when launched.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW
I like the idea of an icon that writes itself on installation... and then changes if it detects a new timezone when launched.
The American business mantra is, after all, the customer is always right.

Wherever the customer may be situated. :)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by philonous
The American business mantra is, after all, the customer is always right.
Hehe, it's more like "The customer is always right, unless they're wrong."
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Given that the FireFox icon was designed by John Hicks, who is (was?) also a keen OmniWeb person, you could try persuading him to design one...
Yup, I'm still very much a keen Omniweb user (I never use Firefox, even for web development). A few years ago I did a replacement icon that was based on the famous painting 'The Great Wave":



I still like the idea, but it needs a lot of tidying up as an icon. Actually a while back I had a think about what my ideal job would be, and it was to work on Omniweb (http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/dream-commission).

;)

Last edited by Jon Hicks; 2006-10-03 at 12:52 PM..
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hicks
Yup, I'm still very much a keen Omniweb user (I never use Firefox, even for web development). A few years ago I did a replacement icon that was based on the famous painting 'The Great Wave":



I still like the idea, but it needs a lot of tidying up as an icon. Actually a while back I had a think about what my ideal job would be, and it was to work on Omniweb (http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/dream-commission).

;)
I like the concept and the colors. It does need some cleaning up but not alot. The more I think about the more I like it.
 
The end of the waves need to be cleaned up, but the bottom is perfect.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OmniFocus dock icon is white instead of red (icon which shows overdue) BrainInside OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2012-11-21 07:10 PM
How to get dock icon and launch icon on Mac & iPad the same Paul Hargreaves OmniFocus 1 for Mac 0 2010-09-10 01:50 AM
Product info up! propofol OmniFocus for iPad 34 2010-07-30 06:29 AM
new product idea khb Omni Lounge 6 2007-01-21 10:46 PM
OmniWeb icon stolen by MS! TimmyDee OmniWeb General 11 2006-12-22 02:53 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.