The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why not Windows? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
After now owning an iMac (and Macbook pro) I'm starting to see why many Mac only software don't have Windows alternatives. There's a certain level of visual aesthetic and consistency you see in most (if not all) Mac software and it makes many Windows software look plain and boring in comparison. Right now I'm extremely pleased with the iPhone 1.10 update (minus how completed inbox items still disappear right after you check them off which drives me nuts) and I'm a little disappointed that Omnifocus looks a bit subpar than many great apps for the Mac out there. But I'm sure Omnifocus 2 will address that issue though :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedubau View Post
After now owning an iMac (and Macbook pro) I'm starting to see why many Mac only software don't have Windows alternatives. There's a certain level of visual aesthetic and consistency you see in most (if not all) Mac software and it makes many Windows software look plain and boring in comparison.
Not only did the Mac team put a lot of effort into the appearance of the Apple software, they put a lot of effort into making sure other developers could and would do the same for their own software. Sit down to build a Mac application and there are plenty of examples of how to do something that looks good and works well, and the bar is set high. On the Windows side, well...the same thing happens, except Microsoft left the bar on the floor :-)
Quote:
Right now I'm extremely pleased with the iPhone 1.10 update (minus how completed inbox items still disappear right after you check them off which drives me nuts)
When do you want them to disappear? If you set the "Clean Up completed Inbox items" preference in the Data section of the Mac OmniFocus preferences, they should stay visible until you switch views. This is one of the preferences that gets synced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico View Post
I have just discovered Omnifocus and I am so disappointing that the owner of this company is limiting his revenue to only mac users.

I need to know a logical and economically sound answer to why choose to ignore the biggest market share controlled by Microsoft. Anyone?

Apple produced OSX software because they want you to buy their Apple hardware, so it makes sense that they don't want to make software compatible with windows, but Omnigroup doesn't sell hardware, so why not make Omnifocus mac/win?

I am sure the Omnigroup's owner's wife would enjoy a new Porsche every year :)

Adobe makes CS5 for win/mac... I really just want to know the logic behind Omnigroups's mac only stance.

Thanks

Fortunately for Mac & Omni users not everyone is shallow.

Microsoft’s motivation has always been about making money. Apple’s has always been about making a difference in the world. Omni's is about creating the best software.

In 1994 James Collins and Jerry Porras pointed out in Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies, that as a group companies motivated by a cause greater than merely profit end up over the long term outperforming companies solely dedicated to making money.

The result of this epic paradigm war between the two giants of the PC era has reaffirmed their study once again in no uncertain terms. Such an overarching motivation underlying a company’s strategy does not need this external validation, following one's passion is worth doing for it’s own sake, but it’s sure as hell gratifying when it happens.

Windows is a dying platform in the post-PC era. It's so last Tuesday. Omni is wise to focus on post-PC devices such as the iPhone and iPad. If they were to venture into other platforms the growing Android OS would be a better choice, but I'm glad they're focusing on the Apple platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailen View Post
Windows is a dying platform in the post-PC era. It's so last Tuesday. Omni is wise to focus on post-PC devices such as the iPhone and iPad.
That's quite a strong statement regarding the fact that 90% of the computers in the world are PCs. Lots of Mac users also has Windows 7 installed on their computer via parallel. Also some PC users has OSX installed.

In any case the computer world is leaning towards cloud computing, soon it doesn't really matter what computer you use - so if anything's last Tuesday it's the whole "Mac vs PC" debate.

Last edited by devastat; 2011-06-25 at 11:47 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastat View Post
In any case the computer world is leaning towards cloud computing, soon it doesn't really matter what computer you use - so if anything's last Tuesday it's the whole "Mac vs PC" debate.
That's what the post-PC era is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailen View Post
That's what the post-PC era is.
Well, it doesn't mean that windows is a "dying platform" or "last tuesday" any more than OS X, what it means is that it doesn't matter whether you are using a mac or a pc as you are using universal software that works on all platforms from an existing cloud.

..and all that iPad can ever replace is netbooks, and in that it has succeeded well.

Last edited by devastat; 2011-06-26 at 07:56 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastat View Post
Well, it doesn't mean that windows is a "dying platform" or "last tuesday" any more than OS X, what it means is that it doesn't matter whether you are using a mac or a pc as you are using universal software that works on all platforms from an existing cloud.

..and all that iPad can ever replace is netbooks, and in that it has succeeded well.

It's happening all around you. You can feel it when you go to work, when you pay your taxes.

When you look across the spectrum of computing devices, desktop/laptop, tablet, smartphone, web servers, mainframes, and supercomputers, not only is Windows losing market share overall, as indicated by this chart combining PC and post-PC consumer operating systems capable of accessing the internet, it's losing market share in every single category without exception, which is why it's overall market share is declining so rapidly. No wonder Windows programmers are scrambling to learn Objective-C while those wise enough to choose a winning platform have a multi-year head start on them.

CHART OF THE DAY: Microsoft's Crumbling Empire
http://static8.businessinsider.com/i...-microsoft.gif

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...he-rest-2010-6

As you can see, Window's market share has declined from about 95% in 2000 to just 70% in 2010 and an estimated 50% in 2011 because of the explosion of smartphones dominated by iOS and Android. This chart doesn't even include the rapidly growing tablet segment where iOS has a market share of around 90%.

And if you think this chart looks bad, you should see what's happening over on the server side (the cloud) where Windows IIS has declined from about 40% in 2007 to less than 17% today while the open source Apache server is now at 65%, and in supercomputers where among the top 500 fastest supercomputers Windows has a market share of 1% while Linux is at 92% according to the TOP500 project.

In what segment is Windows not in decline?

This trend is heartening because we see that open source flavors of UNIX (Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, etc.) are beating proprietary profit-driven flavors of Windows across the board as well as in every category, especially the fastest growing post-PC categories of smartphones and tablets as well as in the server category (the cloud) that mobile post-PC devices access.

Last edited by nailen; 2011-06-26 at 04:29 PM..

Well, it is true that more and more people are using mobile devices to browse the web and read e-mails, and it might also be that windows users are declining among the end-users as more and more youngsters are getting new macbook pros.

However, the reality is that most of the corporate world uses windows and it's not going anywhere nor is it a dying platform. In fact according to this article: http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterpri...enterprise.php 60% of Corporate desktops are still using Windows XP!

From a personal point-of-view: it doesn't really matter wheter I use a Mac or a PC as 90% of software works on both platforms. I use a macbook pro because I love the design and the engineering behind the laptop and the simplicity of OS X in my everyday life.

For work I use a powerful desktop PC as I can get 3x the power for the same price, as well as all parts that might go into the computer are cheaper and there is more variety. Windows 7 is the first windows I actually like. Sofware I miss when I use PC is Final Cut Studio, Omnifocus and OmniOutliner, but that's about it. Everything else I use is universal.

Last edited by devastat; 2011-06-28 at 10:35 AM..

(Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is an important discussion).

I'm not interested in a discussion about "this platform is better than that one," or "this platform is dying." Childish if you ask me. I'm a Mac user by choice at home, but at work, my corporation uses Windows. I've been dying to try Omnifocus for quite some time, but use Toodledo because I can use it on all my machines. I understand where Ken is coming from. It's just a shame that there are surely lots of Mac users in the same boat - can't use the app because they must use Windows elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture View Post
(Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is an important discussion).

I'm not interested in a discussion about "this platform is better than that one," or "this platform is dying." Childish if you ask me. I'm a Mac user by choice at home, but at work, my corporation uses Windows. I've been dying to try Omnifocus for quite some time, but use Toodledo because I can use it on all my machines. I understand where Ken is coming from. It's just a shame that there are surely lots of Mac users in the same boat - can't use the app because they must use Windows elsewhere.
Yes, it's a shame there isn't at least a web-based component. Then I could use it on my android phone and from my netbook along with my macs.