The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Confusion about grouping my due date? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to set up a perspective that will act as my "daily checklist" - My intent is to show a list of actions that have a due date assigned, ordered by things that are due soonest.

Looking at the way this perspective is defined, I've set the Grouping and sort order selections to "Due". It seems to work kind of like I expected, but for some reason some actions are showing up in the first group (Today) even though they have no due date assigned.

I've looked at all the tasks that are behaving this way, as well as the projects that contain those tasks. I can see no place where a due date is assigned. Am I missing something?

Is this something that I should be reporting as a bug, or am I just misunderstanding how this feature is supposed to work?

Thanks,

- Tim

Not sure if we're seeing the same thing, but OF appears to display the entire project if any of its actions have a due date, and regardless of the settings for all/next/available/remaining actions filter.

This is particularly galling with single action buckets: if one of your single action buckets has an action that's due "today", the entire "project" will show up as due "today". Since all actions in a single action bucket are, technically, next/available actions, every one of those actions is listed.

This also happens with "real" projects. I have a "Keep house clean" project, with no due date. The next action is "Clean home office" with no due date on it. This action shows up as due "Within the next week".

Why?

Because I have a "Clean master bedroom" action group after "Clean home office" which has a start date of Dec. 02. Even though you can't see that action when viewed by "Available", it affects the entire project.

I suppose the logic is that it's a reminder that you have a project with a deadline approaching, but you can't see those actions unless you change your filters.

Perhaps there needs to be a way of indicating that a project is showing up but the trigger for it showing up is currently hidden by the selected filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Not sure if we're seeing the same thing, but OF appears to display the entire project if any of its actions have a due date, and regardless of the settings for all/next/available/remaining actions filter.

This is particularly galling with single action buckets: if one of your single action buckets has an action that's due "today", the entire "project" will show up as due "today". Since all actions in a single action bucket are, technically, next/available actions, every one of those actions is listed.

This also happens with "real" projects. I have a "Keep house clean" project, with no due date. The next action is "Clean home office" with no due date on it. This action shows up as due "Within the next week".

Why?

Because I have a "Clean master bedroom" action group after "Clean home office" which has a start date of Dec. 02. Even though you can't see that action when viewed by "Available", it affects the entire project.

I suppose the logic is that it's a reminder that you have a project with a deadline approaching, but you can't see those actions unless you change your filters.

Perhaps there needs to be a way of indicating that a project is showing up but the trigger for it showing up is currently hidden by the selected filters.
It sounds like you are describing two different problems - The second example you give at least makes a little sense: If you have a subsequent task with a start date defined, any tasks preceding it can be inferred to be due. I do agree that some kind of UI indication about what is happening might make sense.

The first example you give makes no sense to me: Is this a bug? In my case, my project's actions can be done in parallel. I can think of no reason why having one action due should cause the whole project to be also treated as due.

Anyone else know if this is intended to work this way, or if it might be bug that needs to be reported?

Thanks,

- Tim

Parallel projects have all their actions as "available", therefore the result is similar to how single-action projects are treated.

Whether it's a bug or by design, you should report it to Omni so they know you don't like the behavior.

In "real" projects, including parallel ones, there's no way to show that the project is due without showing the project name; however, in a parallel project, I suppose it would make more sense to show just the specific action that's due and not all the actions.

In a sequential project, I can live with the preceeding actions showing up, if there's an indication that the reason for doing so is hidden by a filter.

For single-action projects, showing all the actions when one is due makes zero sense to me, and appears to be an artifact of architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
That's true of Planning mode but not of Context mode. My "daily checklist" perspective (actually called "Actions by due date") is a Context mode perspective. It only shows actions that have a due date or have inherited them from a project due date.

Planning mode, I think, is not well suited to this kind of list.