The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Getting lost in the sauce...need ideas. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
'Evening everyone,
Wanted to toss this line out there...

OK, so I do a REALLY good job at getting all my stuff into OF on the Mac (which later syncs with my iPhone and iPad). I feel like I know the ins and outs of the software very well, as I've been using it since v1.0. The structure I have is very organized (projects, tasks, folders, etc.)

Problem is, I've got SO MUCH stuff in there (440 projects with 6227 actions) that, well, I'm finding it hard to find a solution that makes it MANAGEABLE (which I feel is different from being 'organized.')

Sure, I can easily FIND a project, or a task. But I feel like every week, I'm going in, moving due dates (maybe I just shouldn't have those projects as having due dates, huh?) and I feel like I just lose grip of everything on my plate. Granted, those 440 projects are not all high priority, a lot can be put in a "Someday" folder...

Basically what kind of organization of all your stuff do you currently do to ensure you have the detail level AND the 5- or 10,000-foot level view of everything you have? Do you have a "This Week" folder? Do you put everything else in a "On Hold" status so you're only looking at what you want to work on for that week?

I will admit that my weekly review is not done the way David Allen suggests we should...maybe that's my problem. I feel like if I miss a review, in a two week period I've got some 150 overdue tasks that have to be redated. I always feel like there's a project that SHOULD be worked on this week that's nestled in with the other 100+ personal 'projects' I have...and I just don't have my finger on the pulse.

Suggestions? Tips? Organization Stories you can share?

Maybe I just need to read "Getting Things Done" again to gain a fresh perspective...

If you can let me know what works for you, I'd certainly appreciate it...

Thanks in advance,
Marc