The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to prevent team actions from showing on iPhone badge count? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here's what I'm trying to do and maybe there's a better way.

I've created some team member contexts to assign tasks that they are responsible for.

In my contexts, I have:

Team:
- John
- Mary
- Sally

I've modified my Due and Due Radar perspectives on OF so that they don't show my teammates action items, because I want those perspectives to just show MY actions. Works great.

Also, I've created a custom perspective that displays my team's actions (only looks at the team contexts). That too works great.

However, after synced to my iPhone, my Badge Count shows a big "14" which causes stress because most of those are my teammates actions!! I only have 3 actions that are due and only want to see 3 in the badge count.

How do I accomplish this? I've tried setting those contexts to have a "hold" status, but that didn't solve the problem.

I am seeing my custom Team perspective synced to my iPhone, so that's working great. I just need to figure out how to NOT show their actions in my Due lists...

Thanks.

Isn't what you are asking for equivalent to saying you want badges only to be shown on arbitrary contexts or projects? Also, are you referring to the badge on the app icon, or the badges on the main screen of the application? You do have some control over the former, but only which types of items (overdue, due soon, etc.) are counted, not enough specificity to do what you ask.

The easiest thing might just be to pitch in and help your team meet those deadlines before they turn into ugly red numbers on your screen :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Isn't what you are asking for equivalent to saying you want badges only to be shown on arbitrary contexts or projects? Also, are you referring to the badge on the app icon, or the badges on the main screen of the application? You do have some control over the former, but only which types of items (overdue, due soon, etc.) are counted, not enough specificity to do what you ask.
I guess what I'm saying is: In OF application on my MacBook, I've customized my "DUE" and "DUE RADAR" perspectives so that it doesn't show teammate actions. I would like this customized view to synchronize to the iPhone so that on my iPhone I don't see those actions there either.

Right now, it DOES show those actions AND it shows badge numbers for the late ones (as it should).

So my thinking is it can be solved a few ways:

1) When one customizes the "Due" perspective in OF on Macbook (for example, exclude certain contexts), those customizations get synchronized to the OF on iPhone and the iPhone's "Due Soon" perspective reflects that.

Or

2) There's a way to customize the built-in perspectives (eg., Due Soon) on OF for iPhone (to exclude certain contexts) in the same way we can do for OF for Macbook.

Or

3) There's another way that this Newbie hasn't thought of or discovered. :)

My understanding is that #1 and #2 aren't possible right now, and #3 doesn't exist. But I thought I would check with the experts before giving up. ;)

Quote:
The easiest thing might just be to pitch in and help your team meet those deadlines before they turn into ugly red numbers on your screen :)
Yeah - I of course help where I can. But I'm not the direct manager of some of these teammates but have been designated "project tracker" by the CEO. So since they don't rollup to me (and don't affect my own tasks and projects), I'd like for my iPhone Due Soon list and the corresponding badge counts to reflect only MY stuff.

I of course try to help everyone meet their due dates as much as possible. ;)

Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
I guess what I'm saying is: In OF application on my MacBook, I've customized my "DUE" and "DUE RADAR" perspectives so that it doesn't show teammate actions. I would like this customized view to synchronize to the iPhone so that on my iPhone I don't see those actions there either.
It does. Are you turning on the Perspectives feature on your iPhone, and using the Perspectives->DUE and Perspectives->DUE RADAR choices that appear? Assuming that your perspectives are context mode perspectives, you should be able to view them on the iPhone and see a list very similar to that you see on the Mac (one notable content difference: at the moment, the iPhone app does not filter out actions from On Hold projects, so they will appear on the iPhone but not the Mac).

What it does not do is replace or alter the Overdue and Due Soon "perspectives" on the main screen of the iPhone app, which cannot be edited.

But if you have badges turned on in the side bar or dock or menu bar on the desktop app, you have the same problem with your teammates' actions getting counted, regardless of your perspectives. If it is in your database, it counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It does. Are you turning on the Perspectives feature on your iPhone, and using the Perspectives->DUE and Perspectives->DUE RADAR choices that appear? Assuming that your perspectives are context mode perspectives, you should be able to view them on the iPhone and see a list very similar to that you see on the Mac (one notable content difference: at the moment, the iPhone app does not filter out actions from On Hold projects, so they will appear on the iPhone but not the Mac).
I do have that turned on and that works fine! And thanks for validating the "on hold" issue - that was my suspicion.

Quote:
What it does not do is replace or alter the Overdue and Due Soon "perspectives" on the main screen of the iPhone app, which cannot be edited.
Okay - that is what I was getting at. Thanks for confirming.

Quote:
But if you have badges turned on in the side bar or dock or menu bar on the desktop app, you have the same problem with your teammates' actions getting counted, regardless of your perspectives. If it is in your database, it counts.
Okay, that makes sense and is as I suspected. I may have to just turn badges off on the iphone. For some reason, the badge counts in the desktop side bar don't bug me because they align with the contexts, and all my teammates are at the bottom. So I can mentally separate them. But on the iphone, they all add up to a big number on the icon badge and I'm not sure I like that. :)

Anyway - thanks for talking me through this. At least I know I'm not missing anything now and I can decide how to massage my workflow and settings based on what I want to see.

Thanks again.

Maybe the right thing to do is to turn off the Overdue badge count if it bothers you to see it. I find it useful to do Due Soon + Flagged instead -- I get an idea of how much important stuff is coming up, and I'll still see the red numbers on the main screen. I start every day with a review of my Due perspective, so I'm already aware if I'm behind the 8-ball on something and don't really need to be reminded.

Great minds think alike. That's what I decided to do. :)