The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Suggestion: Smooth Zoom Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I'm using OmniGraffle with a wacom tablet and I really like the zoom wheel of the tablet. I already mapped both zoom commands from omnigraffle to my wheel.

What I really want to see is smoother zoom steps when zooming in or out. Right now the zoom behavior is that each zoom step is being doubled or halfed depending if your zooming out or in. This is not helpful. I would like to be able to set the amount of zoom by setting a percent value. Or you can set this value to constant value (25 percent).

For example setting this value to 20 percent zooming in would zoom the drawing by 20 percent. This would work in the other direction, too.

I hope one of the developer read this. It's just a little tweak in your code but it would make zooming useful in the end.

Yes, I know you can zoom with the "z" key. But thats not the point. It's more convenient to have multiple choices and right now one of these choices is broken.

thanks
patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluedke View Post
It's more convenient to have multiple choices and right now one of these choices is broken.
Broken? Uh, no. You bound a command which changes the zoom level by a factor of 2 to your control wheel and are unhappy that you can't configure a different factor to approximate smooth zooming. That's a bit like saying a Phillips head screwdriver is broken because it doesn't handle Torx screws very well!

If you want them to make changes to support your scroll wheel in the way you suggest, your best bet is to use Help→Send Feedback from within the application to request the change. Be warned that it usually takes quite a few people asking for a change before it happens, as they prefer to take care of the requests with the largest number of votes first.

If you have a multi-touch trackpad on your system (or maybe even the Magic Mouse, but I don't have mine handy to verify), OmniGraffle supports smooth zooming via the pinch/expand gesture, so they clearly agree that the functionality is useful.

Thanks for your reply but it wasn't really helpful. As I said I'm using a wacom tablet, not a magic mouse or anything else. Using this mapping was the best way to solve the zoom feature. But as I said it's not as good as I want it to be :).

But thanks anyway.

I will try the "Feedback" option.