The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraphSketcher > OmniGraphSketcher General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

More flexible labels Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I couldn't find how to rotate the labels. I made a graph with many columns and each column represents a sample with a long name. I want to put labels vertically but I cannot rotate them. Is there a way to this?

Thanks,

Unfortunately the only way to rotate labels currently is to snap them to vertical lines.

Are you trying to rotate labels in space, or to rotate the axis tick labels? We have feature requests open in the development database for each.

Not as convenient as built-in support, but if you need vertical labels, you can do as seen in the attached screen capture: draw a line of the same color and length as your bar, put a label on it, then place it at the edge of the bar. I haven't placed the final label line, so you can see what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-07-15 at 1.22.12 PM.png
Views:	500
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1485  

Thanks Bill!

Alper, that's where I was going with my question - if you want to label a bar directly, Bill's method is the way to go. If you're trying to rotate the axis labels below the bars, you're out of luck for the time being.

I should also add that it's possible to make your "helper" line completely transparent instead of the same color as the bar. This is helpful if you need a vertical label out in space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_m View Post
I should also add that it's possible to make your "helper" line completely transparent instead of the same color as the bar.
Ah, that's the trick! I'd tried changing the stroke to be invisible, which makes the text disappear (and actually removes the label entirely so that it doesn't return when you realize your mistake and choose a different stroke). Didn't think of changing the transparency, but it works well.

Thanks!
However, I find all these very time consuming. At the moment I am using numbers to make the graph and omnigraffle to add things! It's a lot more easier to add labels and lines in omnigraffle and it is a lot more easier to make charts in numbers.

However, I hope the omnigraphsketcher gets better in the future as there is still a gap of affordable programme for making publication quality graphs for scientists.

Cheers,