The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Still can't sync with ical Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Jwheeles: What messages are logged to the Console when you try to sync? (You can check by running the Console application in /Applications/Utilities.) Please send those log messages to omnifocus@omnigroup.com and carbon-copy me at kc@omnigroup.com.

debz0r: Thanks for those additional details! What shows up on your Console when you synchronize? (Please send log messages to omnifocus@omnigroup.com and carbon-copy me at kc@omnigroup.com.) What happens if you create a new calendar in iCal and synchronize a context with it? Do any of the items show up in that new calendar? I should note that iCal's search window doesn't search all the calendars, only the active ones (the ones with the corresponding checkbox checked in the left sidebar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
debz0r: Thanks for those additional details! What shows up on your Console when you synchronize? (Please send log messages to omnifocus@omnigroup.com and carbon-copy me at kc@omnigroup.com.) What happens if you create a new calendar in iCal and synchronize a context with it? Do any of the items show up in that new calendar? I should note that iCal's search window doesn't search all the calendars, only the active ones (the ones with the corresponding checkbox checked in the left sidebar).
Ken: I've emailed console logs describing a sync attempt, but attempted with the current calendars; I created a new calendar but it will not show up in the pref window.

I've since gone to a totally fresh OF document, added a few context and dates and then resynced. The tasks that I had sent to iCal earlier from my first OF doc - which had NOT shown on iCal - came back to OF during the sync (showed up in the in box of the new doc). Still nothing showing in iCal.

"/System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/resetsync.pl full"

type the above into terminal (no quotes)
When the sync conflicts came up I chose omnifocus for all (omni was giving priorities to tasks, while ical wasn't)

Worked for me as it was very frustrating, but seems to be ok now!

Debz0r:

I'm not seeing anything wrong on the OmniFocus side of those logs; I wonder if that BirthdayCalendar exception might be blocking iCal from synchronizing properly? OmniFocus seems to be synchronizing to the sync database properly, but if iCal doesn't also sync then it won't see any of the changes we're making--and we wouldn't see all of the changes it's making either.

That would explain why your new calendar isn't showing up in OmniFocus, and it would also explain why the synchronization dialogue did list all of the OmniFocus tasks that were pushed.

Our support ninjas tell me that they've helped other users solve this BirthdayCalendar exception by turning off the birthday calendar in iCal preferences and then turning it back on (recreating it).

Unfortunately, I don't have any other advice on how to get iCal itself to stop misbehaving except to make some backups of your calendars and then to try resetting everything (following the process suggested by http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306484).

Thanks again for helping us investigate this!

Quote:
We don't control iCal's interface; they've chosen to present all their "to do" items into a sidebar rather than somewhere on the calendar itself. (We create to do items rather than calendar events, because events have fixed start and end times and our tasks don't: a five-minute task might become available today but be due next Thursday.)

can you make it an event? I've mentioned this elsewhere in the forums, but Bento seems to have it down, you can list things both ways and it updates iCala.

I would like to add that I think the potential of OF is much higher than what I see with Bento as far as GTD, but the functionalability of Bento is a tango compared to the waltz of OF

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarymonkey27 View Post
can you make it an event? I've mentioned this elsewhere in the forums, but Bento seems to have it down, you can list things both ways and it updates iCala.
I don't understand what it would mean to make it an event.

If I have three things due today (a two-minute phone call, a three-week project, and writing an email message), what sort of events would I create for them? What time would these events start and end?

OmniFocus isn't intended to schedule your time, it's intended to help you track what you want to get done. You can then look at what you want to get done and schedule your time using another tool (whether that tool is as simple as a calendar, or as complicated as a Gantt chart), but OmniFocus doesn't have enough information to make those scheduling decisions for you.

Quote:

If I have three things due today (a two-minute phone call, a three-week project, and writing an email message), what sort of events would I create for them? What time would these events start and end?

OmniFocus isn't intended to schedule your time, it's intended to help you track what you want to get done. You can then look at what you want to get done and schedule your time using another tool (whether that tool is as simple as a calendar, or as complicated as a Gantt chart), but OmniFocus doesn't have enough information to make those scheduling decisions for you.
But OF does have due dates, yes? Perhaps I'm missing something within OF, but while OF allows me to list things that need to get done and organize them into contexts, ie errands or phone calls, some tasks become urgent based on when they are due. While OF has some tools available to promote these "due-dated-task", a list is not the ideal interface when trying to develop a schedule based on the bigger picture, a calendar is, and while I can go into iCal and drag these task to dates, it's an extra step that can become time consuming. OF offers tools like "clipping" and "quick entry" to capture what you need to get done without getting in your way and allows for ease of entry. In my mind, and with the way I seem to be evolving in my task management using OF, better integration with iCal seems a logical feature in line with the other stream-line tools already available. I wouldn't make it a default, but allow the user to define these options, ie, list due dates as events? all-day event? time due? list start date?

If it can't be done it can't be done, but if it can be done than it should be include. Nonetheless, even without this feature I love this application and have already purchased it.

Quote:
sorry, I meant a calendar event ---- iCal Event

as in when you double click on an open space in iCal it starts with the beginning

---> New Event

The synchronization doesn't work either for me. I'm still on Tiger, so I couldn't try "/System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/resetsync.pl full".

I've mailed some console ouput.

But anyway, the main reason I'm posting here is that I have another motivation to implement "synchronizing tasks as events in iCal" in OmniFocus: you can set up google calendar to send an SMS to your mobile when an event begins (or some time before if you prefer). Thus, if you synchronize an ical calendar both with OF and with a google calendar, you get "synchronization of reminders between OF and *any* mobile phone".

And that would rock =) Because not everybody has a PDA.

Another solution would be to synchronize ical tasks with google calendars, but I didn't find a way of doing this yet.