The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is there a "Next Action" view? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We've got a number of requests for things that folks would like to see on the home screen; the things that are there now are the things that we figure almost everyone would use. Next Actions are somewhat of a GTD-ism; if you use some other productivity method, you may not use them or know what they are. For that type of user, a top-level item would represent wasted screen real estate at best, and a source of "this app is too complicated" feelings at worst. Software engineering is all about tradeoffs...

In any case, in some future version of the app, we may add more items to the home screen, or make it customizable; folks that would like to see stuff added there should send email to the support ninjas so we can record that feedback.

>>>>>>> "make it cutomizable;" <<<<<<<<<<

This is critical for a device with such limited real estate!!!! You always going to be wasting someone's (possibly everyone's) OF iPhone real estate when you try to choose what's on the home screen for us.

Obviously within reason, but isn't that in a sense what you are doing with Perspectives on the Desktop OF when user created Perspectives appear as options in the customizable toolbar window? If you slightly less ambitious you could solicit from users votes for the top 30 perspectives. and with discussion may you might find some surprises and in Settings allow us to choose what we put on the home screen rather than your suggested default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrok
Just a thought from reading this thread. Where the decision is made to NOT include a feature on the main screen because it might scare new users, why not do what the ipod app and others do on the iphone -- allow users to add or remove things from the main screen by having an edit button. Then you can add some perspectives if you like, or remove those things you rarely use, etc. Just a thought.
My vote goes to that idea. I want to decide what's on the main screen; give me that power!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiramvdG View Post
My vote goes to that idea. I want to decide what's on the main screen; give me that power!

My vote goes to this idea as well!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
I can't add much to what marshallj just posted other than to say that my workflow is similar to his. I use OF primarily in Project mode on the desktop to plan and review, and work out of OF on the iPhone when actually getting work done. I have started flagging non-dated items that I want to focus on today, but then I still have to bounce between 'due soon', 'overdue', and 'flagged' on the iPhone. While GTD doesn't endorse the idea of a today to-do list, a 'today' view that combines the the 3 views mentioned above would be helpful, and consistent with the GTD idea of putting day (and time) specific information on one's calendar.

Oh heck yeah! I also have to flip between due soon, overdue, and flagged.... I'd love to have this on the iPhone as well as the desktop version!

I think that's what people like about Things and the Hit List.

Wouldn't "Today" also be considered a context? The context is a physical condition that has to occur to make next actions available. Today is a big context for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
Oh heck yeah! I also have to flip between due soon, overdue, and flagged.... I'd love to have this on the iPhone as well as the desktop version!

I think that's what people like about Things and the Hit List.

Wouldn't "Today" also be considered a context? The context is a physical condition that has to occur to make next actions available. Today is a big context for me!
The "Today" view (similar to what Things has) would be helpful to me.

As far as a context... well maybe, but changing all my contexts to "Today" to see them (or, maybe, getting ride of _all_ contexts but Today, Next, Someday, Waiting, etc.) is a bit drastic to solve this problem I think :-)

You can probably go to projects, show all remaining actions and then flag all the things you want to do today or this week. Then look at the flagged items in your iPhone. That's what I do.

I use OF Desktop for the weekly review. It's one thing that's missing in OF iPhone. It would be nice to have perspectives as well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We're fixing this in v1.2 of OmniFocus for iPhone: on any hierarchical list (Context or Project), you'll have the option of viewing "All Items".
Just a quick update: We wanted to push out v1.2 sooner rather than later (so we could start sharing sneaky peeks of v1.6 for the Mac), so "All Items" on the iPhone is now planned for v1.3 instead of v1.2.

Ken, has 1.2 been submitted to the App store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Ken, has 1.2 been submitted to the App store?
Yes, it was uploaded on Saturday or Sunday from what I recall. It's not available for download yet.

It's been approved and is making its way to an App Store server near you. (I just downloaded the v1.2 update from the App Store on my iPhone.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Just a quick update: We wanted to push out v1.2 sooner rather than later (so we could start sharing sneaky peeks of v1.6 for the Mac), so "All Items" on the iPhone is now planned for v1.3 instead of v1.2.
This is fantastic news! Now I can switch back from Things Touch. Thanks guys!