The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

auto-sync iPhone question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there all,

I am getting used to using OF on my mac and iPhone. I understand that you have to turn auto-sync on (and it is) on my iPhone. I also understand that it auto-syncs every hour and 1 minute after you do something.

From reading the forums I think I understand that OF iPhone can't sync in the background. People have said, though, that OF iPhone will sync when you "open" it.

So here's the question: I run OF, like all apps, all the time on my iPhone. Everything is always open cause all my apps run in the background. When I have used another app, then I SWITCH over to OF, I take it this is not opening it, and it won't sync - is this right? In other words, if I wanted OF to sync when I open it, I'd actually have to close it down each time - is this correct?

Thanks for any help. I have tried to find this clarified in the boards and could not.

Jenny

Sorry for the confusion: folks are using "open" and "switch" somewhat interchangeably. It would be more accurate to say "when OmniFocus is the active/frontmost application". But it would also take a lot more words. :-)

When the app comes to the front and notices that it's been more than an hour since your last sync, it'll fire off an auto-sync.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to be sure I get it: When OF "comes to the front" it will auto-sync IF it has been an hour (or more) since the last sync. If it hasn't been that long, it won't auto-sync JUST because it came to the front. Do I have it right?

Thanks, I just want to be sure I know, so I can be sure I am not wrongly relying on it to sync.

Jenny

Yep! You can also tap the Sync button in the toolbar at any time if you want to force a sync...

Thanks so much for your help!