The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus is Slow -- any fixes??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Now that I've been using OmniFocus and built a larger database it is becoming painfully slow. I've seen a post that the number of visible items slows OmniFocus down. Has anyone found a way to speed up OmniFocus -- increasing memory or ???

you can't increase memory. not possible under os x. only photoshop is able to allocate a specific amount of memory steadyly. guess compress the database for removing old deleted entries would be a first step imho. but aside the ui needs some optimization to speed things up.

i am also suffering the same effects from time to time. especially when many apps are running and not much physical ram is left (on a pb 1,67 ghz with 1,5 gig ram)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosjer D View Post
you can't increase memory. not possible under os x. only photoshop is able to allocate a specific amount of memory steadyly.
I had assumed that wpitman meant adding more physical RAM to his machine, not allocating more to OmniFocus. But yeah, OS X's memory management is all automatic, so there's no need to manually change assignments as was common under Mac OS 9.

The OS will automatically allocate more memory to an app as it needs it (Unix variants, like OS X, are very good at this). In fact, the OS will allocate as much memory as an app asks for. When you run out of physical RAM, though, the OS starts swapping RAM contents to disk, which slows things down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosjer D View Post
i am also suffering the same effects from time to time. especially when many apps are running and not much physical ram is left (on a pb 1,67 ghz with 1,5 gig ram)
It sounds like your machine is swapping RAM contents to disk, which will definitely slow things down. I've got 4GB in my MBP and it almost never swaps out. I haven't detected any significant slow downs in OmniFocus, but when doing searches across the entire database (including completed items), it can be slightly sluggish. The same goes, to a lesser degree, for switching to some perspectives.

I think the first thing wpitman should do is exactly as Kosjer D suggested: rebuild the database. Go to the menu bar and select File->Rebuild Database. This will condense all transactions down to a single XML file, which should speed things up. Beyond that, I'm not sure there's much you can do except hide items that you don't need to constantly look at.

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-02-29 at 06:30 AM..