The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus vs Omniplan? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

As far as I can see is above softwares pretty similar so why use the Omniplan instead of the cheaper Omnifocus?

Someone who know the differens?

Best,

Joakim

Actually, OmniPlan and OmniFocus are very different. OmniPlan is a project management application, while OmniFocus is a personal task manager.

They're somewhat related, I guess, and some have asked for integration between the two. But if you're managing a team working on a project and want to track progress, predict dates, schedule milestones, and coordinate team members, OmniPlan is the one you want. If you're looking for a "to do list" and personal task manager application that embraces the GTD philosophy, then OmniFocus is the one you want.

Thanks for that.

Best,

Joakim

OmniFocus: task management for one person to manage their own tasks.

OmniPlan: used to chart out and organize a project with multiple people working on it, distributing out tasks to make sure that schedules are hit without overloading anyone.

omni plan is also useful for one person with multiple projects , who needs to reliably predict completion times on tasks and projects .

Omnifocus , true to GTD principles has no concept of " time required " to complete projects . Omni plan excels at what it's titled for " planning " .

I'm a registered user of both . You can really load your plate with omni focus , it takes a tool like omni plan to figure out just how overloaded you are . ymmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
omni plan is also useful for one person with multiple projects , who needs to reliably predict completion times on tasks and projects .

Omnifocus , true to GTD principles has no concept of " time required " to complete projects . Omni plan excels at what it's titled for " planning " .

I'm a registered user of both . You can really load your plate with omni focus , it takes a tool like omni plan to figure out just how overloaded you are . ymmv
I'd love to know how you do that - unless it is just typing everything in to each app twice?

A

you use the export feature in omni focus , omni plan reads it very easily ..

check the omni plan forums also , I use a method many refer to as " multiple projects as tasks " .

Depending on what perspective you use to export to omni plan , separate projects become inidividual tasks in omni plan or , tasks grouped by due date , or context etc .

If you just need to keep track of time commitments, then OF + a spreadsheet should do the trick.

As ext555 says, if you need to precisely predict and schedule your available time then OP + OF may be worthwhile.

I own both, and am still undecided about utilizing OP as ext555 suggests. Not that the idea isn't valid; the returns just may not be worth the extra effort in my particular case. For managing a big project at work, OP is clearly a win . . . and that is true even though I do all my reporting via spreadsheets.

Last edited by yucca; 2008-04-06 at 10:17 AM..