The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Groups vs. Folders Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Like probably many of you, I manage multiple large and long term projects with many different areas and objectives. For example, one large "project" or area of work includes two separate tracks: one that's a series of 8 mailings spread out over about six months (with each having design, content creation, editing, printing, etc.); and the second that's a series of constituent outreach activities (list development, phone calling, follow up meetings, local events, etc.). And that's just one "project" or area of my work.

I'm interested in how folks are using OF to manage multiple projects that occur over several months, each with several components (or smaller projects), each with many tasks. Specifically, I'm interested in how folks are using sets of tasks (i.e. parent and child actions), nested sets of tasks, groups, and folders.

I do not have all of my work fully set up in OF yet, so I'm trying to decide what's the best way to organize these complicated sets of smaller "projects" and what's the right use of folders, groups, and nested sets of actions.

I'm also trying to decide if in addition to OF for my personal task management, I just need to spring for OmniPlan, BaseCamp, or some other more formal project management software.

If you need to do a lot of scheduling of other people, or have lots of deadlines and complicated dependencies, you probably do need a project management app. OmniFocus has no way of noticing that you've decided to finish both "Take over the world" and "Cure cancer" for next week and warning you that maybe you need more people or a change of schedule. Or that "Launch new website" is right in the middle of your sysadmin's vacation.

If you want a tool to deal with those kinds of situations, you probably need project management software.

As far as organizing your projects, I think it's something of a personal preference. It's fairly easy in OmniFocus to rearrange the hierarchy of your projects and actions, so try something and see how it goes.

However, folders can't have dates, can't repeat, and can't be marked completed.

Thanks - that's what I thought. I think I need both personal task management (OF) for my own to-dos and project management software for that purpose. Have you - or anyone else reading this thread - used OmniPlan?

I run OmniPlan almost every day, but not to manage projects, exactly. I test OmniPlan. You'll probably find a lot more OmniPlan users over on the OmniPlan forum. http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37