The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using OO of OF for tickler file? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I currently have a bunch of projects that are permanently on hold. All they do is store information such as projects that I would like to work on in the future. I like the idea of having them in OmniFocus so that I can have everything in one place. However, I think that OmniOutliner may be a better place for this since each item is not really a task. I just want a place to jot down ideas and references for each idea.

What do you think? Am I right/wrong?

I put anything which is not likely to be current and / or is not thought out yet in OF and mark their context as Someday.

Examples are:

Books to read, Films to See, possible projects for work, Music to buy.

If I want to project plan something, I have a Project in OF with an action to plan in OO, then play with it in OO. When I'm happy it's ready, I would then enter it into OF.

For me everything Task based should be in OF. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeworkman View Post
I think that OmniOutliner may be a better place for this since each item is not really a task. I just want a place to jot down ideas and references for each idea.

What do you think? Am I right/wrong?
I don't think there's a right or wrong, but storing Someday projects in OmniOutliner is what I do.

Projects that I'm currently working on go in OmniFocus.

Projects that are currently on my radar, but I might not get to them for a couple of weeks go in OmniFocus and put On Hold.

Projects that I'm planning, gathering data about, but are no where on my current radar, go into OmniFocus in a Someday file.

As an example, I'm planning on a probably trip at the end of 2012. Every once in a while I'll review it, add a little bit of info, etc. I see zero advantage to keeping this possible project/trip in OmniFocus. In fact, I find keeping it in OmniFocus as a negative; noise getting in the way of what I'm trying to accomplish now.

There are some people that simply want everything in one place, so for them that's the answer. But for me there's a clear separation between what I want to accomplish now and what I want to accomplish in the future, and it's beneficial to keep them separate. As long as I know what is where, I don't find any benefit to shoving everything into one place.

(as a side note, I also find OmniOutliner the better application for the type of planning I do with Someday projects.)

I keep all the working detail of projects in linked OO3 files, stored in project folders in a DevonThink database.

I find OO3 faster and more flexible to work in, and DT allows me to search rapidly across the whole body of all my project notes, keeping them together with associated PDFs, images and other documents.

OmniFocus provides a wonderfully flexible and solid top level of organisation and reorganisation, but it is exasperatingly weak on search. Reminds me of a dependable old university librarian I knew who was a champion of acquisitions but oddly slow and uncooperative on loans :-)

The integration of OmniFocus with OO3+DevonThink is automated by use of these scripts.

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-08-21 at 12:18 AM..