The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

setting alarm would be cool Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all !

I know, OF is not a calendar;

But as it is used to manage tasks, it would be nice to be able to change the alarm settings in each task.

Fabrice

OmniFocus has enabled Growl support, so you can install Growl and set the kind of reminders you would like.

For more information, visit http://growl.info/.

Hmm... I'm a bit confused as to "how to set the reminders you like" part. I get warnings when the due-dates hit, and the status of the task changes color... is there a method for setting other options up?

No, but if you set the due date and time for each task when you want a reminder, you can get a reminder. It's not perfect but it works.

well, the idea is to have the possibility to put an hour on each task, like we can do it for the date. and using growl is not really a good idea. If I use such a tool (omnifocus) it is for saving time. and displaying a list of task in a project : i can not set an alarm on each task withouth using ical, which is really a heavy solution.
Really, I think that this function should be implemented in the soft.

I would definitely vote for setting an alarm. Often I will create items in ical, so I can have a reminder. For example, I want an email a week prior to the event or a pop-up reminder the day of the event. Growl works, but it is too limited. I don't want a reminder of everything. I also want to control how and when I would be notified.

reading the posts again, I would like to bring a precision : my first idea was not to have a reminder. I was only looking to have the possibility of setting an alarm within omnifocus (ical would remind me about this alarm.)
Well, if we can be reminded through omnifocus, that would be cool too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice67 View Post
reading the posts again, I would like to bring a precision : my first idea was not to have a reminder. I was only looking to have the possibility of setting an alarm within omnifocus (ical would remind me about this alarm.)
I've read through some long threads this afternoon where this has been mentioned multiple times. Has there been any movement or comment from Omni about the likelihood of this being implemented?

What is the problem with setting a start date and getting the Growl reminder when it starts, particularly if you make that notification sticky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
What is the problem with setting a start date and getting the Growl reminder when it starts, particularly if you make that notification sticky?
The problem is that I'm not always directly in front of my computer and that my computer isn't even always on. Sometimes I'm out and about but have to make phone call at a certain time. The phone call is an action of a larger project and need to be reminded. If Omni could tell iCal to set a reminder/alarm then that would be synced to my phone which would alarm and remind me to make the call.

I know the argument about hard landscape but do I really want to be putting a task like 'call John about tablet design at 10am' in my calendar?