The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Filtering out tasks that haven't started yet Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

Loving the smoothness and simplicity of OF so far.

Does anyone know how to filter out tasks with a future start date? So I think 'Ah, I need to do this - but not till next week. Give it a start date for next week; then I don't want to see it cluttering up my task list till then...'

Andrew

When I set the start date to some point in the future, they immediately disappear (from the context lists).

If you have the action filter set to "all" or "remaining", you'll see them. I usually keep it on "available" and use "next actions" when I really need to focus. (Click the "view" icon in the toolbar to see your filter options.)

Thanks for the prompt reply anna.

I could be being really dense here, but that doesn't seem to be working for me. So I have a task, start date set to next week; but in context view it is still there when 'all' or 'remaining' is the filter option. The filter works for completed / next / etc; but not for start dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rross101 View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply anna.

I could be being really dense here, but that doesn't seem to be working for me. So I have a task, start date set to next week; but in context view it is still there when 'all' or 'remaining' is the filter option. The filter works for completed / next / etc; but not for start dates.
'all' means just that--show all actions regardless of whether they are available or completed. 'remaining' means all actions except those that are complete. 'available' means every action that can be worked on, for example, every action in a parallel project. 'next' means just the first action in each project.

Curt

To follow up on what Curt said, and to put it another way: your action with a future start date will still be "remaining" because it is an action remaining to be done. It will no longer be "available," though. If you want to see only actions you can do now, use the "available" filter.

I usually have the filter set to "remaining" in Project view, where I plan and review, and "available" or "next" in Context view, where I get things done (when I'm not updating OF or reading the forum!).

Ah great. 'Available' cracks it. Thanks!