The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Extracting Data Simply? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi. I created my first post a week ago on 11/1/10. Surprisingly, no response to my question seven days ago.

It could either be that my question was improperly worded, posted in the wrong area, too difficult to answer, or I'm not part of the "inner circle" of regulars (seen sometimes at other forums). Hopefully it is not the latter, since the forum support was one of the differentiators I noticed in reviews.

A copy of my original post is below; any advise would be appreciated.

John

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi. Brand new OmniFocus user on the mac. Also have a Droid 2, and when I learned that they did not play well together, I purchased an iPod Touch on Friday. Syncing works great! (I wasn't willing to wait until Q1 2011 when Verizon gets the iPhone).

Each week, in Excel, my brother and I send each other our individual five new goals for the week, how we did on last weeks goals, and five positives from the previous week.

What I am looking for are ways to easily extract / export these goals next week (as well as my five new ones) to reduce my data entry time for what I send my brother.

In OmniFocus, I created a project called Weekly goals. For each goal, I created an action step with a due date at the end of the week. Thus, five action steps. (These are generally simple goals i.e. complete reconciling, workout three times,etc).

Any ideas for automating the export/extract process within OmniFocus for these specific goals would be appreciated. I will be sending a report to my brother each week.

Thanks.

John

The quickest route from OF to Excel would probably be through a .CSV file:
  • Select the project in OF
  • File > Export > Comma Separated Values

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrFocused View Post
Hi. I created my first post a week ago on 11/1/10. Surprisingly, no response to my question seven days ago.

It could either be that my question was improperly worded, posted in the wrong area, too difficult to answer, or I'm not part of the "inner circle" of regulars (seen sometimes at other forums). Hopefully it is not the latter, since the forum support was one of the differentiators I noticed in reviews.
John,

while the forum is a valuable resource, I suspect the reviews were actually referring to the Omni support group's efforts, and they do their primary work via email and phone, not through this forum (which is intended for users to communicate with each other). The Omni folks do read the forum, and respond, but it is on an as time permits basis, and there's no guarantee that any given post will be seen or answered. However, they do promise that if you contact them via email (use Help->Send Feedback from the app to include version information, etc.) that you will get a response. It's also the best way to go to make any sort of feature request.

Just saw this thread, John - echoing what Bill said, if you email the support ninjas, you're guaranteed a response, which will almost always arrive by the end of the next business day.

Thanks for the reply, folks. After see the responses, I purchased the license for the mac a few minutes ago after the completing the 14 day trial. I'm all in!