The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help! I need some advice on syncing! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I've searched the forums and I think I'm missing something pretty basic. My syncing between my MacBook Pro and iPhone pretty well through MobileMe but as of a couple of days ago, the iPhone wasn't syncing.

I think all the new tasks I put on the iPhone get transferred over but anything I've checked complete or moved the date on the iPhone get overridden when I sync and revert back to the laptop version.

I use my phone at work and my laptop at home so I'm okay with overriding to a specific version when I sync. What's the best way to:

-Default to my laptop version and have it override the iPhone?
-Default to my iPhone/iDisk version and have it override the laptop?

I'm willing to do this until the syncing gets more reliable. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekang View Post
Hi,

I've searched the forums and I think I'm missing something pretty basic. My syncing between my MacBook Pro and iPhone pretty well through MobileMe but as of a couple of days ago, the iPhone wasn't syncing.

I think all the new tasks I put on the iPhone get transferred over but anything I've checked complete or moved the date on the iPhone get overridden when I sync and revert back to the laptop version.

I use my phone at work and my laptop at home so I'm okay with overriding to a specific version when I sync. What's the best way to:

-Default to my laptop version and have it override the iPhone?
-Default to my iPhone/iDisk version and have it override the laptop?

I'm willing to do this until the syncing gets more reliable. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Good morning,
Here's what works for me...

I am lucky in that I'm able to remotely connect to my Mac, from work, if I need to get on there for something. However, I've found that when I'm on my Mac, I open OmniFocus, let the sync happen (it starts automatically) then do whatever I need to do. I then CLOSE the desktop app (but manually sync first). I do this because I have noticed on a few occasions, that syncing might happen AT THE SAME TIME for the iPhone and the desktop app, causing conflicts.

When I go to work, I strictly use the iPhone, unless I have some major task adding, moving, etc. to do. (of which I'll close iPhone app by pressing the home button, open OF on the desktop, make my major changes, sync OF, then CLOSE OF again). I've found that if I close a particular app when I'm done with it (I always do a manual sync to be safe before closing) I've had NO problems.

As you've said, until syncing gets more streamlined (I think it's reliable now, but a little clunky in how I have to do it--which I'm OK with), I'm fine with doing it in this manual manner.

So, I've developed this mantra for each app:

Open app (iPhone or desktop)
Make changes
Sync
Close

Hope this helps!
-Marc

Thanks for the reply!

Just to clarify, once you make all your changes on the iPhone and sync, all the changes are going through?

I'm trying to find a way to have the iDisk file override the laptop version after I get back from work because if I don't, 95% of the changes I've made on my phone (date changes, completed tasks) don't push through.

I know how to use my laptop version to override but not vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekang View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Just to clarify, once you make all your changes on the iPhone and sync, all the changes are going through?

I'm trying to find a way to have the iDisk file override the laptop version after I get back from work because if I don't, 95% of the changes I've made on my phone (date changes, completed tasks) don't push through.

I know how to use my laptop version to override but not vice versa.
Yes, sir. I'm seeing all changes. I think, though, that OG has improved the syncing of OF desktop and iPhone with the latest iPhone update. I'm leaving both apps open now and am not getting the dreaded "Use local or server copy" messages anymore.

I don't think you can do the override thing. If you can make sure your desktop app is not running before you leave, you shouldn't have a problem (at least I didn't).

I hope this helps!

Actually, due to a bug, it's better to leave OmniFocus on your Mac running (even if your Mac's asleep) than to quit it completely. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but some bogus changes can get generated on launch that cause conflicts on tasks that are near their due date. (Unfortunately, tasks near their due dates are also the ones you're most likely editing on your iPhone. Conflicts ensue.)