The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Context for projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by theorg View Post
Hi I'm new. Was trialing 1.7 just bought 1.8.

Def prefer way group tasks work in Context view.

Quick question: Didn't know could add context to project, doesn't seem to be way to view/change project's context like action. is inspector only way?

thanks
You can add a context column to the context view (see the little gear menu in the column headers, or use the View->Columns command) and enter it there. There is also the Edit->Context command or the right-click or control-click to bring up the contextual menu for its Context command (select the project in the outline first).

(I see there is another thread discussing this, I'll ask there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
the context field has always been there, though it was previously labeled "default context" instead.
I got that and it was a very useful feature, but the recent change while subtle, seems a bit odd. Projects showing up in actions lists (contexts) is weird because they aren't actionable.
What is the case where this is a good thing. Am I missing something?

Last edited by henry; 2010-09-12 at 12:22 AM..

Quote:
You can add a context column to the context view (see the little gear menu in the column headers, or use the View->Columns command) and enter it there. There is also the Edit->Context command or the right-click or control-click to bring up the contextual menu for its Context command (select the project in the outline first).
thank for reply, I have context column showing but if its a 'project' the context doesn't show.

Seems right click is quickest way to view/amend for me, feels bit counter intuitive (be nice to see context as per actions) but it'll do the job.

Quote:
thank for reply, I have context column showing but if its a 'project' the context doesn't show.
It does in context mode, as I said...

Quote:
Parents should be distinguishable from children by being styled in bold face, with the default style settings. See the Style preferences in the OmniFocus preferences to customize this. You have control over font, typeface, size, color, etc.
Ah didn't spot that, (was lighter grey bold due to next action styling etc). Thanks.

Still find difficult to relate subs to parent actions when flat list. but suppose way to deal is use action name itself.

eg.

Lunch
> Lunch - Prep
> Lunch - Cook
> Lunch - Stuff Face

thanks for help

Quote:
It does in context mode, as I said...
think I'm missing something. here's what i got. test project with test group action and 2 sub actions (using 1.8)

Project Mode:

Context Mode:

all objects have context of 'test context'

Last edited by theorg; 2010-09-12 at 11:49 AM..

This is my vote to either delete this new found "feature" or at least provide an preference to get rid of actionable groups. Its killing meeeeeeee

Quote:
think I'm missing something. here's what i got. test project with test group action and 2 sub actions (using 1.8)
Whoops, sorry, it does it for action groups but not for projects. Don't know why there's a difference.

I'd also vote for entirely removing contexts from projects, or providing an option for users to completely turn this off so that projects and context lists behave the way they did before the ability to assign a context to a project was added.

In more than two years of using OmniFocus, contexts-for-projects is the first addition that I consider genuinely broken. I feel this way in part because while OmniFocus has been a great tool for implementing GTD, contexts-for-projects is entirely at odds with GTD principles.

In GTD, context is the place, environment or tool required to do something.

A foundational principle of GTD is that it is impossible to "do" a project. You can only do an action.

So how and why should a project have a context?

Seeing projects in a context list -- or having to jump through hoops to avoid seeing them -- makes OmniFocus a less useful tool.

Projects have always had contexts in any shipping version of OmniFocus. It used to be called the default context, but that change is merely cosmetic so far as I can tell.

If you are unhappy about projects showing up in the context list, there is an easy solution: View->Hide Parent Items in Context Mode.