The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slow to Open OF and Open the Settings [fixed by reducing zip files] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If using Bonjour syncing, does it have any effect on OmniFocus (OS X app) performance? I've rebuilt my db, yet with 6 perspectives open, have experience 90 second delays opening a new perspective, or even closing one. I did sync to my iPhone OF, but that didn't speed things up.

Bob

How big is your database (actions and zip files and megabytes)? It definitely slows down as it gets bigger if you have enough stuff in there (intentionally or otherwise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonclarke View Post
I have a similar problem, but the app comes up quickly. It's synchronizations that take a long time - sometimes up to a minute. I only have about 180 zip files, and I leave OmniFocus on my Mac on all day every day, and regularly sync my iPhone. Is there something more I need to do to make synchronizing quicker?
180 is still a fair number of outstanding zip files, enough that you should notice an improvement upon compaction. I would first do the sync both, wait 61 minutes, sync both again procedure and see if that makes an appreciable difference. I would also verify that you have a decent connection when you are syncing, and check the size of your data file. If you have some big attachments or notes (and notes can be much larger than you might expect if they have lots of formatting) that will also slow things down, especially if you are on a slow data connection. Are you syncing with WiFi/Bonjour, or a WebDAV server (incl. MobileMe)?

For whatever reason I wasn't able to get my number of zip files down, so I finally just nuked all data on my iPhone, deleted the device as a sync client, then re-established the synchronization. All told it took about 3 minutes, and OmniFocus is back to doing relatively snappy syncs on my iPhone. I won't know for sure until I leave it for a few hours and make changes on the desktop, but so far, so good.

whpalmer4 - I sync using WebDAV, and I know my server speed sometimes varies. But it had consistently gotten extremely slow at synchronizing, particularly the first time I open OmniFocus after a few hours. The thing is, sometimes I just want to check something, and I feel like I'm being held hostage by the sync - don't want to close it until it successfully finishes. Is there any danger to regularly closing the iPhone app mid-sync (knowing of course that it won't be completely up-to-date until you let it successfully complete?)

Also, sometimes it seems to hang on my first sync after a few hours of not syncing. If I simply quit back to the home screen and go back in, my due task count is correct, and the subsequent sync takes mere moments. Is it doing something when it's in this apparent hanging state (that I'm interrupting), or is it just sort of lost? If I leave it long enough (2 to 4 minutes, usually) it will eventually come back, but not always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonclarke View Post
Is there any danger to regularly closing the iPhone app mid-sync (knowing of course that it won't be completely up-to-date until you let it successfully complete?)
Not as far as I am aware.

Quote:
Also, sometimes it seems to hang on my first sync after a few hours of not syncing. If I simply quit back to the home screen and go back in, my due task count is correct, and the subsequent sync takes mere moments. Is it doing something when it's in this apparent hanging state (that I'm interrupting), or is it just sort of lost? If I leave it long enough (2 to 4 minutes, usually) it will eventually come back, but not always.
I believe it is compacting the database when this happens. If you view the information for the synch during this period (tap the i button from the home screen and scroll down until you can view the number of actions and zip files info), you will tend to notice that the number of zip files will drop once the "hang" is completed.

My guess is that the "hang" you are seeing is actually OF trying to compact the database, which involves writing most of that data over the net to the WebDAV server and could conceivably take a minute or two depending on connection speed, database size, etc. Does the little spinning watch dial in the middle of the bottom row of the screen keep turning during the whole time?

I agree with JKT about the general safety of interrupting a sync. If you think about it, the protocol has to be robust in the face of interruptions, because there's really no way to guarantee that someone using an iPhone isn't going to lose their connection at the worst possible moment.

While I do believe that having auto-sync on makes the app behave better for me, if you are constantly getting stuck because a long sync happens when you can't wait for it, you might see if life is better with it turned off. Just be sure to do a manual sync whenever time permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Does the little spinning watch dial in the middle of the bottom row of the screen keep turning during the whole time?
Yes.

Thanks for your suggestions! I will see, maybe it will be better-behaved now that I've erased and reestablished the synchronization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
How big is your database (actions and zip files and megabytes)?
1.8MB (running on a 2.4 GHz. Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM). I don't know how to get # of actions and zip files.

I can't use the Archive function as currently implemented, because I have active projects that I need to retain completed actions from in my 'live' file, no matter how long ago the actions have been completed.

I have been manually copying over completed projects to my archive file, which helps some.

If there is/would be a way for me to be able to filter down to actions completed based on completion date, I could focus on my SAL containers, then select those actions, and also move them to my archive. That would reduce the size of my db a lot. But I don't think that filter is available.

Thank you for your help.

Bob