The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

'Under Construction?' Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Photoshopped, but sort of demonstrative of how obtrusive it can feel to the eye.

Jon, I totally agree.

Omnidudes, I love you guys, but there are seriously *much* better ways of indicating that an application is a beta / unstable / bleeding edge without sullying the UI like that. Just put a "construction" icon in the splash like everyone else does instead of changing the actual UI... please?

Just to be blunt: it's ugly and distracting as hell.

At first I thought this was a joke thread. How can you complain about the graphic? It is BARELY noticeable and there is nothing obtrusive or distracting about it. You are making something out of a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCN
At first I thought this was a joke thread. How can you complain about the graphic? It is BARELY noticeable and there is nothing obtrusive or distracting about it. You are making something out of a non-issue.
Although it doesn't bother me very much, I personally refrain from blanket statements as they don't take into account personal preferences. Having seen some of Jon's work, I know he likes a refined touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCN
Having the visual distraction of the graphic in the title bar every time I look up to a) enter an address into the address bar, or b) read the page title just to remind me that I should have lowered expectations because it's a beta is kind of silly. It's like taking a car out for a test drive and having "YOU ARE ON A TEST DRIVE" in translucent letters in your rear-view mirror.

Changing the UI in this way changes the experience of using the application. Beta testing isn't just to make sure there are no bugs and that features work correctly - it's testing the overall experience of using the application.

I hold Omnigroup to a higher level of user experience. Hell, that's one of the main reasons why I use their products: they feel right. This doesn't.

after looking at this for half a day, I think it would even be less obtrusive if the colors were more vibrant. At least then ones eyes would get used to it. As it is now, I keep forgetting its there, and my eyes keep darting up to see what's going on with the menu bar.

OK, so nobody else thinks it's cute.

I feel sorry for the OmniGroup designer who thought of this neat way to make the (semi-private) beta stand out from normal versions.

I second Jon.

Fact: People use safari. Geeky people use omniweb. Geeky geek people use Omniweb Sneak preview. I am sure they all know what a sneaky preview is.

I'd love to see no strips too. And yes this build is real good.

yeah, this build rawks. (see, we're not all complaints!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb
OK, so nobody else thinks it's cute.

I feel sorry for the OmniGroup designer who thought of this neat way to make the (semi-private) beta stand out from normal versions.
You're cute though. lol :D