The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Viewing the outline Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Another reason I use outlines is to get a different perspective on something I'm working on. I usually work in MindMaps which have their own limitations, particularly when you're wanting to see all the notes for a particular area of the tree.

Outliners allow you to see all the notes at once if you want. Here's where OO could be improved considerably.

Currently, to open all nodes of an outline you have to open each top branch completely. There is a 'hidden' menu for doing this but it doesn't really open the tree completely because notes are hidden. To show notes you have to first find a branch with notes and then you can show all notes (or hide all notes) through a menu that is also 'hidden'.

Viewing and moving through an outline should be a fluid and dynamic process. Not one that forces you to be in certain modes before deciding how you want to view it. A single tap to hide one particular note or a way to expand everything or even a way to show only out to a certain level of the tree. This is something Microsoft Word offers in it's albeit clunky outlining view, yet a tool dedicated to the process of outline doesn't.

I'll try to coalesce this into a feature request but it will likely amount to a 'view' menu somewhere in that top ribbon. Also getting rid of hiding/showing of all notes through the 'create note' button will probably be part of this request. Viewing should be given proper attention and that likely includes a graceful and transparent interface to go with it.

I agree that there should be an easier way to toggle 'show / hide notes' in one tap so outlines can be navigated more easily with notes off, and they can be 'unhidden' as required once you reach the right point.

The show/hide all notes option is always available as long as you have a row selected, doesn't need to be a row with a note. We do plan to make that button active even without a row selected though. If you're finding you need to have a row selected that has a note, that is a bug we're not aware of and would appreciate any details you have on it.