The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MobileMe and Omni Sync at the same time? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

While having a "Service is not available" problem with MobileMe I thought about using Omni Sync. But I wonder if I can use these two services at the same time? Or will it (as I guess) double the entries or do even worse things when synching with Omni Sync after MobileMe (or vice versa)?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

In my understanding, if you sync OF with another WebDAV server (like omnisync) the. OF copies it's database to that server. Next time you sync to the same server it checks for changes and updates the database on the server. If you use more than one device with OF on it and sync it with this server than it also checks for the newest changes and applies those to the other devices.

If you want to just change from MobileMe to omnisync, no issue. If you want to swap between both on a regular basis and just use one device (so kind of a backup), still no issue. If you use more than one device then I recommend deciding for one service since it can be pretty frustrating if you sync your iPhone with MobileMe and then the iPad with omnisync just to find out that, of course, the changes you synced to MobileMe from your iPhone are not on the omnisync database and hence do not make it to your iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
If you use more than one device then I recommend deciding for one service since it can be pretty frustrating if you sync your iPhone with MobileMe and then the iPad with omnisync just to find out that, of course, the changes you synced to MobileMe from your iPhone are not on the omnisync database and hence do not make it to your iPad.
Thanks, Christian! I use OF on my iPad, iPhone and Mac. And you are right: There is a risk of confusing the devices. So, at the weekend I will think about switching to Omni Sync :-)