The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can I sort projects/folders in sidebar alphabetically? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all -

I use OF for work and have 100s of projects - I used to just create a folder in Finder for each project and then just organize them alphabetically so that I could fidn them quickly.

Is there any way for me to organize the projects and folders alphabetically? Right now, it seems that I have to manually move each project up and down the list to where I want it.

Thanks!

-Vik

Currently, you have to move everything manually. In another post it was stated that this is one way that users could prioritize projects. This used to bother me until I realized that I almost never use the side project to find projects. I prefer to sort things alphabetically in the main column.

I've filed feedback with Omni asking for the ability to search the sidebar to find projects, as finding them in the main pane is, well, a pain. Searches find all occurances of that word, and I don't see the project in the context of its surrounding projects (particularly important for adjusting those projects into a useful order).

This is a long-standing gripe (months old, really).

I really wish this was an option, DA talks about filing with Alpha, so why not do it as an option in the folders.

BZ

Just want to add my voice to this. An option to keep my Project List alphabetically sorted would really suit my workflow. I rarely use nested folders and prefer a long list with the ability to search in it. This is the way things are going elsewhere....

I requested this in feedback in July: it was supposed to be an approved feature for 1.0 but I guess they've not got round to it yet. :)

Hope it is coming soon. Here is to waiting. :)

BZ

I'd really like to see this. Not only is manually sorting a nuisance, there is always the possibility (all to easy) of dragging one project on top of another by accident, and then (if you noticed it) you need to undo it.

As of a few days ago, you can select the items you wish to sort (in the sidebar or in the main outline) then choose Sort->By Name from the Edit menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
As of a few days ago, you can select the items you wish to sort (in the sidebar or in the main outline) then choose Sort->By Name from the Edit menu.
Yay! Thanks Ken!

Could I make one suggestion, though? View->Sorting->Name, and Edit->Sort-Name, are close together, and are not very clear IMHO. I have been trying to View->Sorting->Name for a few weeks, and would have never though to look in the Edit menu for that option.

Thanks,
Devin