The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Project Headers in Context View Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everyone

I seem to be having a problem with projects (the header item) appearing in the Context view. I've tried setting the default context for projects to 'none' but then the projects appear as actions at the bottom of the Context list which is even worse.

I'm sure this hasn't always been the case (maybe it was part of the last update) and I have changed my workflow in the last few months so I can't pinpoint anything in particular I'm doing different.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh dear, I think I've figured it out - is it because there's no 'available' action in the project?

If this is the case, this adds a further problem as the next action in my project has a future start date so, even though there isn't an 'available' action, this is part of the plan and I don't want the Project header to ever appear in context views (I use the iPad for weekly project reviews).

Is there anyway of stoping this from happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brown View Post
Hi everyone

I seem to be having a problem with projects (the header item) appearing in the Context view. I've tried setting the default context for projects to 'none' but then the projects appear as actions at the bottom of the Context list which is even worse.
This is intentional, read on...
Quote:
I'm sure this hasn't always been the case (maybe it was part of the last update) and I have changed my workflow in the last few months so I can't pinpoint anything in particular I'm doing different.
This behavior came in with OmniFocus 1.6.2 for iPhone, so it has been around for a bit more than a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brown View Post
Oh dear, I think I've figured it out - is it because there's no 'available' action in the project?
No, it's always there, but may not be shown because it will not be an available item until all the contained actions are complete. If you are only showing available actions, you won't see a project or group header in the context view until all the actions have been marked complete.
Quote:
If this is the case, this adds a further problem as the next action in my project has a future start date so, even though there isn't an 'available' action, this is part of the plan and I don't want the Project header to ever appear in context views (I use the iPad for weekly project reviews).

Is there anyway of stoping this from happening?
Yes. If you have the Mac version of OmniFocus, in the Data section of the preferences, there's a checkbox labeled "In Context Mode: [] Show Projects and Groups" and if you uncheck it and sync, you'll not see project headers in context mode. If you don't have the Mac version, you can visit this page to enable/disable showing parents.

For some background on why OmniFocus has this feature, see this thread: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=20039

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I was thinking that your link to change the settings was the answer but, after reading the post on headers, I used the link to change my iPad settings to show parents in Omnifocus (the same as the iphone) now that I understand it.

Thanks again.