The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Possible to have separate sections in one outline? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Is it possible to have separate sections in OOPro like (for instance) Word does? I want to be able to have a section with a date column, but don't want the other areas of the outline to have that column and be sorted with it. (I realize there are sections in OOPro, but I'm wanting a separate section that I can have different columns in. Styles seem to just have to do with appearance.)

Sorry for the basic question, but I didn't find anything in Help or the FAQ. Thanks.

Last edited by BookCat; 2006-07-17 at 05:07 PM..

BC,
Every column in an OOP document is in every section. That being said, if you Hoist the section you are working on, you should be able to sort just that section by the column you want (giving you part of what you want).

When I want a document with different columns in different sections, I have separate documents which have "links" in them that allow me to move back and forth between the separate documents. It's not the best solution, but does the job.

James B

Thanks for the reply, James.

So, to make sure I understand:

When a column in a hoisted section is sorted, only that hoisted section is sorted? The rest of the outline remains as it was?

I may end up doing as you mentioned with making separate outlines and linking them. If it's relatively painless to go from one to another then I can put aside my 'outline that holds everything about a project' idea.

Again, thanks for the response.

Quote:
When a column in a hoisted section is sorted, only that hoisted section is sorted? The rest of the outline remains as it was?
Yes. Choose "Sort Hoisted Outline" from the 'Reorganize' menu.
Quote:
I may end up doing as you mentioned with making separate outlines and linking them.
Here's how to add a 'link' to another outline (or any file):
* Put your cursor in the field you want the file link to be in.
* Drag the file you wish to link to from the Finder over the selected field.
* Hold down the 'Control' key (after you have the file over the OO field)
* Release the mouse button.

You can put a 'link' in any field, even a Note!

James B