The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Copying OF preferences to a second Mac Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhQuiet View Post
An alias is just a command-line symbol to something. It's not tangible.

A symlink is a special file that points to another file. It is real.
In this case, he's referring to a file alias such as you might create in the Finder. It is also a tangible object. For more details, go to the Finder, bring up the Mac Help viewer and search for "alias"...

I'll get in on this one.

Right now I have one Macbook with OF and an iPhone with OF. It works great most of the time. Soon, I'll buy a new iMac which will be the computer where I do most of the work. I'd also like all of the archives to be saved on that computer. Is there any way to, like, move all the OF data I have on my Macbook to the iMac and start with a clean copy of OF on the Macbook?

Henric- I can't recommend Apple's Migration Assistant app highly enough. Connect new Mac to to old one with a FireWire cable, let it do it's magic, and new Mac is now set up just like old Mac, right down to what desktop picture my account is using.

The stuff is still on both Macs; you can make sure there aren't any problems before wiping your data off the old one. And the Migration Assistant application can be used any time - just launch it from the Utilities folder on the new Mac if it's already up and running.

That said, if you want to move stuff over by hand, the preferences file is named "com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist" and it' stored in
<your home folder>/Library/Preferences/

The rest of the info is stored in
<your home folder>/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/

and OmniFocus puts any backups you've got in the Documents folder by default...

Brian,

thanks a lot! That should fix a lot of other issues I had with moving stuff, not just OF. Will definitely check that out when I get the new computer.

Quote:
(We've added syncing perspectives in v1.7.)
Hi Ken,

New here, sorry if I've missed something obvious or failed to search well enough, but I've tried to see how to get, ideally, all aspects of Omnifocus to sync between to Macs, but even just Perspectives, and so far I can't see it working.

I am using the Omni sync service (brilliant, thank you), but I find, for example, renaming a Perspective on one Mac, sync, quit, open Omnifocus on the other and sync, and the new name is not shown.

Is Perspective syncing working and if so am I missing something? I just bought Omnifocus and so am on v.1.8.2.

Thanks lots in advance for any comments, cheers, -Alan

Hmmm... I'm able to edit a perspective name on my Mac, sync it, then fire up my iPad, sync OmniFocus, and see the new name there.

One possibility here is that the perspective was edited on more than one device at some point in that process - that would cause the earlier change(s) to be thrown out in favor of whatever change happened last. Could be that's what happened to the edit to the name.

Another possibility here is that there's some slight difference between the sync settings the two Macs are using - maybe they're both syncing with the same server, but to different spots?

In any case, if you email our support ninjas, we'll be happy to help. What you're looking to see happen is the intended behavior. :-)

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply, it could *well* be that I had created perspectives on the other Mac locally that took priority. I will try removing them and syncing (etc) to see if that was the reason.

The sync settings are just the default sync to the OMNI server, so guess it's not that.

Thanks! Cheers, -Alan

Hi Brian, that was it! I deleted OF from the laptop, reinstalled and syncd and all AOK. Thank you! Cheers, -Alan

I've got a laptop and a desktop, the tasks are all syncing fine, but I'd like the my perspectives, toolbar, etc to look the same on both computers.

thanks!

Welcome to the forums! The info you're looking for is in this thread. I'm going to move your post to that thread, but figured I would respond here first. :-)