The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 1.10 sneaky peek Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
After a bit of playing around with this, I think the model is a bit odd, and in some cases, rather less functional than the "armada of parallel repeats" tactic.
The "armada of parallel repeats" is still available for anyone who finds that more effective.

Quote:
Okay, but if you set a daily repeat, you don't get those day of the week boxes active. "No, you need to think of this as a bunch of weekly repeats on selected days" says the support ninja in a soothing voice. New user starts muttering under his breath about confusing user interfaces...
This design choice was made (among other reasons) to be consistent with the iCal UI.

Quote:
I'm sure it seemed like a great programming convenience to implement this feature in the way that it is, but the PX came at a cost to the UX! It would certainly be more work to implement the same UI, but have it executed by the armada of parallel repeating actions. The users who are led astray might think it was worth it...
Some people may be led astray by this. Perhaps more people were confounded by the previous UI and never thought to create the "armada of parallel repeating actions." We're going to keep improving this software (including repeating actions), sometimes in leaps and bounds, sometimes by little nibbles that only help a subset of our customers.

I understand that it is based on iCal. iCal has the same flaw :-) Start out with a single event. I decide I want to make it repeat most days, but not every day. I can't get there in any logical fashion through the UI unless I make the leap to thinking of it as a group of weekly repeats. Over the years, a number of people have evidently failed to make that leap, because they've posted here on the forums wondering how to get something to repeat only on weekdays...and that number has been great enough that someone is finally trying to fix the squeaking wheel.

Quote:
... Start out with a single event. I decide I want to make it repeat most days, but not every day. I can't get there in any logical fashion through the UI unless I make the leap to thinking of it as a group of weekly repeats. ...
FWIW, I would offer an alternate view WRT the iCal logic ... Perhaps I never noticed this as a flaw, or, if I initially was puzzled in setting up a comparably-set calendar event, doing it as a group of weekly repeats has now become so ingrained that it is reasonable and acceptable logic to me.

Otherwise, maybe it is a left-brain/right-brain thing that just needs the requisite analytical <-> intutive paradigm shift connection to kick in. :-)

--
JJW

Quote:
Torchy,

a more flexible solution to what you ask is to put projects full of "weekday" tasks in one folder, and those containing "weekend" tasks in another. Select the appropriate folder in the sidebar, click the focus button in the toolbar, and now you will only see tasks from those projects. If you need to look at some work stuff on the weekend, no problem — just look at the work folder.
Or, instead of rebuilding your entire project-mode folder hierarchy, just set up @Weekend as a (set of) context(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobubba View Post
Or, instead of rebuilding your entire project-mode folder hierarchy, just set up @Weekend as a (set of) context(s).
Hmm, move a number of projects, or inspect and edit potentially many more actions. The latter seems like a more tedious and error-prone task, but I agree it could be done, and may offer more flexibility if one's tasks aren't easily partitioned.

thanks for updates

Nice website redesign, but it seems to have broken the link to the sneakypeek?

I believe they posted on twitter that they've turned off sneak peeks for now .

We did stop building new Sneaky Peeks. We intended to keep the last built one available. It briefly disappeared due to a mix-up that may or may not have involved the website update, a stuffed iguana, or the office cat.

It should be available once again at http://www.omnigroup.com/products/om...ad/sneakypeek/

It seems there has been a lot of good discussion about the sneaky peek 1.10 with recurring days. Is it set to be released soon?