The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning emails into actions: send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
As a general rule, email doesn't make any guarantees about delivery times since a server could be congested or temporarily unavailable. But our server will process a message and send back a reply as soon as it receives a message. (In fact, our send-to-omnifocus autoresponder never even records a copy of the message, it just processes it in memory and immediately starts sending the reply. Of course, if the place we're trying to send the message back to isn't accepting email there could still be a delay before it's delivered, and during that delay the message would be temporarily stored on our server's disk.)

I did notice that some messages were being delayed by our spam greylisting service (in cases where people hadn't sent any other email to omnigroup.com recently)—for a minimum of 5 minutes, but sometimes as long as an hour or more (depending on how often the sending email server retries failed delivery attempts). I've turned off the greylisting service for the send-to-omnifocus autoresponder now, so that delay should no longer happen.
Hi Ken I just tried it again and it came back almost instantly, thanks a lot, you guys are great! :)

This is a very cool and very appreciated service.

Sending and getting the email back works well, except that I lose the paragraphs.

However, when I click the link to add to OF iPad, the note contains the text with URL encoding - i.e. spaces are rendered as %20. This makes the note virtually unreadable.

What are you using to compose your email? And do you do anything at all to the email between receiving it from the Omni server and clicking on the link? I just tried a couple of test cases, sending from Mail on the Mac and gmail in a browser, multiple paragraphs, plain text or rich text, and processing the resulting email on Mac, iPad, and iPod touch. All of them worked perfectly (though the rich text formatting is stripped). If the problem persists, you'll probably need to send them some examples.

I was sending the email from my iPad.

Actually, as I did more testing, it appears to be this one email. I'll probably send it to the support ninjas.

As I tried other emails, they worked fine.

This really is a cool added feature. Thanks for the implementation. It's working very well for me.

Hi,

Just wondering how safe and confidential are the bounce back options using Omnifocus on iPad?

Thanks

Stephane, this post has the information you're looking for, at least as far as our server goes. At a bare minimum, your mail server and ours is involved in a transaction like this; in most cases, there are going to be one or more intermediary steps/servers, as well.

We can't control what your mail server or the intermediary ones do with the mail during/after sending to you, but ours forgets all about the information as soon as we can verify that we've successfully sent it.

Hope this helps!

Closing this thread, as we're rolling out a new Omni Sync Server feature that's a significant improvement over this method. See this thread for more info.