The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Cocotron & OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Like many, I haven't found a good way to make use of OmniFocus at work because it's a Windows-only environment. Today I happened to read about Cocotron, which purports to allow programs written for OS X to run on Windows. I'm no developer, so I don't understand all the details, but I was wondering if this Cocotron project was something that Omni could use to bring OmniFocus to Windows and, is so, whether they would be interested in doing so? I know that I'd happily pay for a second license to use on my work computer.

Cocotron's website is www.cocotron.org if anyone is curious.

Fwiw, the developers of FileMagnet have apparently used this to create a Windows version of the desktop part of their iPhone software.

Huh - I hadn't heard of this, and I just showed this to ken, who also didn't know about it. Thanks for the heads-up!

I've forwarded a link to this thread to him, but don't really feel qualified to otherwise comment on whether this would work for our apps. So I'll leave it to the experts. :-)

I suspect it will be a lot more work than that article makes it sound, given the complexity of most of your desktop applications...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Huh - I hadn't heard of this, and I just showed this to ken, who also didn't know about it. Thanks for the heads-up!

I've forwarded a link to this thread to him, but don't really feel qualified to otherwise comment on whether this would work for our apps. So I'll leave it to the experts. :-)
Thanks for passing along the link to the rest of the Omni team. I'm sure it would be a significant undertaking to bring OmniFocus to Windows, assuming it was even technically possible. But if Omni were so inclined, it seems like OmniFocus would be a good candidate and a good potential revenue stream.

Before this thread drifts off into oblivion I wanted to check in one more time and see if, after looking at the technical side of things, the Omniteam has any interest in a Windows version of Omnifocus.

More importantly, does Cocotron run on Fusion or Parallels?

...Hehehehe...

acollins, the idea has definitely been filed away as something to consider, but our existing projects have us very busy. I guess you could say it's been assigned to the Maybe/Someday context. :-)