The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

First observations... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So, I've played with Omniplan for iPad now for about 1,5 hours. Overall, it's not bad to work with, but it definitely has a few noticeable shortcomings.
  • I've had the app hang various times and even crash twice (with a project that contains maybe about 35 tasks). I'll be more concrete below on when.
  • The calendar editing of resources is a mess. 1) the control are much too small to drag around. I can rarely place them where I want to have them. Please make the calendar control at least twice as big. 2) It is absolutely buggy. If I resize a time block, it consistently moves one day to the right. It is almost impossible to create a proper resource calendar for a resource that way. 3) It seems that Omniplan levels the whole plan as soon as anything changes in the calendar. Even with my few 35 or tasks, this makes the resource calendar almost unusable. I'm always waiting for the leveling (or whatever Omniplan is doing in the background here) to finish. I think it would be wiser to do whatever is happening here when leaving the calendar (even when automatic leveling is enabled).
  • webdav bug as mentioned in the other thread.
  • no ms project import/export? That is truly sad.
  • I found the way to move/group stuff unusual for an iPad app. It certainly works, but intuitively, I've tried several time to drag a task into a group.
  • I have a reproducible bug where Omniplan crashes when I scroll to the very end/right of the project. Why, I don't know. I think it didn't happen from the beginning, now it's happening always.

I guess for a 1.0 version, it is somewhat okay. I'm really hoping for a few quick improvements though. On the bright side, I think the app overall is pretty and I can imagine to work with it when it matured a little more.

I hope the other fellow new users will add their observations as well.

The calendar situation seems really broken unless I'm doing something very wrong. Can't see how this could have made it to the store with it working like this. I too get the block moving a day to the right along with being unable to place it where I want.

A comment on the calendar issue would be nice.

A lot of hanging & crashing here also.

I have the same impression as you BNZ that it'll be very nice when it's ironed out a bit. Nice environment to work in - just not really show time just yet,

D

I found placing things one block earlier drops them to the right place. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this but that so many are makes me wonder what we are all doing wrong.

For those of you seeing this issue, what day is your 'first day of the week'? Sunday or Monday?

First day of WORK week is Monday for me. I needed to change my lunch block, a simple matter of dragging handles. I ended up with four extra blocks of time without ever tapping new. I had to Edit and delete and then spend five minutes more getting the original blocks in the correct place.

First day of the week is Sunday for me.

Well, in the Omniplan iPad calendar it is Sunday. It should normally be Monday (it is in my Apple Calendar app) for Germany. But I don't even know where to configure this, neither in Omniplan nor the iPad settings or the Calendar App. I suppose this is somehow part of the region settings by country in the iPad settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz View Post
I guess for a 1.0 version, it is somewhat okay. I'm really hoping for a few quick improvements though. On the bright side, I think the app overall is pretty and I can imagine to work with it when it matured a little more.

I hope the other fellow new users will add their observations as well.
Having used quite a few other project management apps for the iPad, I can honestly say that this 1.0 release is instantly the best of them. Obviously not perfect and missing a few desirable features (I'd like calendar sync).

It doesn't and never will have *ALL* the features of the desktop version so we need to brace ourselves for a a torrent of "I can't believe it doesn't have X" outrage.

However, if it acquires polish and features at the rate that OmniFocus and OmniOutliner for iPad did then I'll be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCatMachine View Post
First day of WORK week is Monday for me. I needed to change my lunch block, a simple matter of dragging handles. I ended up with four extra blocks of time without ever tapping new. I had to Edit and delete and then spend five minutes more getting the original blocks in the correct place.
We've confirmed that our input code is honoring your locale's setting for the first day of the week, but our drawing code (obviously) is not: so it ends up confused and shifts your time blocks by a day as you drag them around to edit them.

Sorry we missed this! This bug will be fixed in our next update: it will honor your first-day-of-the-week setting for both display and input (and also your locale settings for weekday names).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We've confirmed that our input code is honoring your locale's setting for the first day of the week, but our drawing code (obviously) is not: so it ends up confused and shifts your time blocks by a day as you drag them around to edit them.

Sorry we missed this! This bug will be fixed in our next update: it will honor your first-day-of-the-week setting for both display and input (and also your locale settings for weekday names).
I've noticed the same problem - but my international settings are for Denmark.

And please let us use week numbers in the GANTT view, when week view is selected. In some cases with year number included.