The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Question: Note Preview Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I time/stamp updates on each of my tasks and projects. As it stands, I have to click on the note icon each time I want to preview my notes. I do understand that I can use apple/' to open all notes, however I don't want the entire note, only the 1st line to preview. Is there an option to assure that the 1st line of each note will be avail without having to press the note icon?

Thanks

Cmd-' doesn't open all notes, only the selected ones. It does open the whole note, however, just like clicking the note icon. I don't believe there is any way to get the program to show you only an arbitrary portion of a note.

A different approach, however, would be to use the Changed date/time in the inspector to see when you last modified the action (including editing the note). You could pull up the inspector and scroll through a list of notes using the arrow keys pretty easily...

Have you tried turning on the View -> "Collapse Row When Not Editing" option? With this setting enabled, an expanded note will only display the first line of the note followed by an ellipsis.

-Dennis

To clarify Dennis' post, an expanded note will display the entire note when you're editing it.

To add to Dennis and Brian's posts, when hovering the cursor over the first line of the expanded note, the entire note will pop-up in a yellow, 'stickies' type window. Move the cursor away from the first line and the sticky note disappears or click in the first line (edit mode) and the entire note is displayed as Brian mentioned.

Thanks for all the suggestions. For now, after inputting new tasks, notes, etc., I "select" all, and choose command/' to expand all notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Have you tried turning on the View -> "Collapse Row When Not Editing" option? With this setting enabled, an expanded note will only display the first line of the note followed by an ellipsis.

-Dennis
This was a great piece of info - thanks for that. I just updated all my Perspectives to show that top line of information for each task with notes, which is where I usually put any notes...

Thanks!

Is there a way to have the Note Previewed when selected?

I would love to have the note field automatically expand when the action is selected.

I don't think it's currently possible. I don't remember a feature request like that in the database either. Please send that in as a feature request, just to make sure it ends up in the development database if it's not already there.

Will do. Thank you Brian.