The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Actions Aren't Organized by Start Date Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Within a project I have multiple actions. Each action has a start date, but the overall project does not (doesn't the project just inherit the soonest start date of any one task, or do I need to manually assign the project a start date as well?). I assumed OF would automatically sort these actions by start date, but this is not the case. The start date seems to be completely random. I thought the point of OF was to sort the actions by what you should be focused on next. To me, that would be things with a start date of Today or sooner, start date in the future (in chronological order), and things without a start date. What's worse, I can't seem to create a perspective to achieve this result. It appears grouping and sorting only applies to individual projects and not tasks contained within. Do I really have to manually move all tasks in a project to show in the order I want? What's the point of the purple highlight then?

Actions in project view are not sorted. They are manually ordered, to let you prioritize.

In the various context views, you can choose to sort by start date.

I have to say, the inability to sort by Start Date in Project View is sort of bizarre. If it's not executable, then why is it there? In the View Bar there is an option to sort by start date or due date, and the disclosure triangle appears in the corresponding column. But it doesn't actually do the sorting. This led me to puttering around in OF trying to figure out what I had done wrong (I figured something with the Project, or Availability, or something).

In the end, it's a dead-end. So why's it there?

But a fantastic app, guys. Thanks for impressing the heck out of me.

The View Bar sort option for start/due dates in the Project view is for projects, not the actions within the projects. However, you can sort actions in a project in the Project view. Select the actions in a project or in an action group that you wish to sort, and select the menu command 'Edit>Sort>By Date to Start'. Actions with no start date will appear at the top of the sort order, followed by the actions ordered by start date.