The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

URL in Get Info supposed to work? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just downloaded about 20 different files from the Omni website using OW 5.8 under 10.4.11. Every one ended up with the proper URL in the Finder's Get Info Spotlight comments box, and Spotlight seemed to know about the ones I checked at random. Perhaps Path Finder is the culprit here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I just downloaded about 20 different files from the Omni website using OW 5.8 under 10.4.11. Every one ended up with the proper URL in the Finder's Get Info Spotlight comments box, and Spotlight seemed to know about the ones I checked at random. Perhaps Path Finder is the culprit here....
Thanks for checking. Perhaps you are correct in suggesting PathFinder maybe the issue.

I still default to this comment by troyb which causes me some discomfort.

"I don't think that should make a difference. The spotlight comments should be the same regardless of the file viewer."

BTW obviously i replaced Finder.app so the get info dialog is actually Path Finder's not Finder.app's. I should ask again at CocaTech.

Last edited by Drayon; 2008-11-16 at 08:36 PM..

Here's an experiment to try:

Open up Spotlight from the menu bar, search for "downloads.extremesims.com Omniweb dmg"
and make sure there are no hits

Download http://www.omnigroup.com/download/latest/OmniWeb.dmg

Open up Spotlight from the menu bar and again search for "downloads.extremesims.com Omniweb dmg"

Do you get any hits? If Spotlight knows about it, then OmniWeb would seem to be off the hook.

Strange, no reference to this anywhere. I just checked out 2 other machines 10.4.11 and a 10.5.5 these have Finder and not Path Finder hacked on like my main system. I noticed on both of these the URL is no longer stored in Get Info's Spotlight Comments. It's actually embedded into a section "More Info" however, now this is not selectable.

I don't know what games Apple are playing but this used to be in the Spotlight Comments and the URL was able to be selected copied and pasted like any other selectable text......No more.

Here is what is on my systems

This is what I get in 10.5.5:

Something odd is going on with your system!

Wow, yeah that is wack. Hrm the 10.5.5 is a brand new system install. MBP shipped with a 10.5.4 disc and I used the 10.5.5 combo. hrm Mind you that dialog was taken from a download with Safari.

I ought to check again. thnx JKT

Ah, mine was with OmniWeb not Safari... and testing in Safari, it does what you posted and puts the URL in the more info pane and not the Spotlight comments.

Yes just tested this as well in Safari same result in the where section not spotlight. testes OW on that machine and this correctly places it in the spotlight comments. Safari used to do this, they changed it.

Anyway with Path Finder my Get Info dialogs never had the URL anywhere. I may flick PF 5.0.2 in CoreServices and see if this does the correct thing.

Edit Path Finder 5.0.2 also shows no URL in the Spotlights comments on files downloaded with OW 5.8

Path Finder has been renamed to Finder.app in /System/Library/CoreServices as far as OW is concerned it should just see the Finder as any old application, unless there is some scripting going on to parse the url to comments.

Last edited by Drayon; 2008-11-17 at 02:19 AM..

I do not have Path Finder replacing Finder and here's what I see:

It could have something to do with the fact that you've fully replaced Finder on your system, I'm not sure.