The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to make a curved text label Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, hope you can help. I would like to know how to create a curved text label which follows the same degree of arc (of a circle) where the text label will be placed. I am trying to illustrate a looping procedure and need a few labels within the circle, each to be curved as per the degree of arc.

I thought it would be straightforward, but an hour here and i'm nowhere nearer to figuring out how to achieve this.

Any clues would be most welcome.

Cheers,
Rob.

If you have MS Powerpoint, then from the Home tab you can choose Font > Text Effects > Transform

(And then copy & paste the results to OmniGraffle, which lacks this feature).

(Otherwise, you will need to use some more fully-featured vector graphics package like Illustrator).

Thanks Rob, i don't have either of the software you advise. Surprised omnigraffle can't to do this...it seems to have plenty of features as it is.

Cheers,
Rob.

I find that I can also successfully copy transformed text from the free (open source) Inkscape into OmniGraffle.

Note that to get a vector (rather than bitmap) copy into OG, you need to Save As PDF (using the 'convert texts to paths' and 'export area is drawing' options), and then use OG's File > Place image to bring the PDF file in.

Inkscape installed without problem (takes a few minutes on first launch) on my OS X 10.6 system. There is a different build for OS X 10.7, which I haven't tested.

http://en.dev.inkscape.org/download/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-04-12 at 12.41.44.png
Views:	1076
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	2345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-04-12 at 13.45.03.png
Views:	860
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	2346  

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-04-12 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Added graphic