The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

killer features from Opera? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/200...-in-opera.html

I like features #1 and #9, and wouldn't mind seeing them in OmniWeb.

#1 already exists in OW. click and option+drag a tab.

#9 exists on the OS level, but not quite as pretty.

The author isn't very good. He titled the article "10 Features You'll Find Only In Opera" - well, as I pointed out #1 already exists.

#4 - isn't that what the green button does in OW?
#5 - I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds like the little down arrow next to the back button, or the orange arrow in safari's address bar.
#6 - Sounds like a watered down version of workspaces
#8 - Same as OW, depending on how the page was generated
#10 - OW does the same thing.
#12 - Same as OW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
#1 already exists in OW. click and option+drag a tab.

#9 exists on the OS level, but not quite as pretty.

The author isn't very good. He titled the article "10 Features You'll Find Only In Opera" - well, as I pointed out #1 already exists.

#5 - I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds like the little down arrow next to the back button, or the orange arrow in safari's address bar.
#6 - Sounds like a watered down version of workspaces
#8 - Same as OW, depending on how the page was generated
#10 - OW does the same thing.
#12 - Same as OW
#2 can be done by selecting the text, then select OmniWeb / Services / Open URL in... except its system wide, not just in OW.
#6 is a watered down version of OW shortcuts (nicknames in Opera)
#13 Use the freeware Cocoa Gestures, http://www.bitart.com/CocoaGestures.html
#15 Use the Keyboard System Preferences, system wide.

So that leaves 3, 5 (but Safari has it), 7, 11 and 14. You're right, that's pretty bad journalism. 4 out of 15 is pretty bad going.

Quote:
Not quite if my interpretation of the description is right - I suspect this will utilise the zooming feature of Opera to do something equivalent to the Fit in Window feature of OmniGraffle 4. This is preparation for UI resolution independence and adoption of SVG as an image format for browsers, IMO. Opera gets this because of their development of their browser for non-PC mobile devices.

Quote:
Not really. The green button tries to resize the window to fit the content. Opera's fit to window tries to force the page to fit the window. (Images get scaled down, text that'd normally not be wrapped will be, whatever it takes to get the page to fit the available space. I prefer this to resizing the window; I have my window sized so I can see stuff around it.)

That feature, and fast forward are the two I miss from Opera. (Fast forward tries to figure out what the "next" page is, and goes there if you press the >> button or spacebar past the end of the page (or some other shortcut that I can't remember.). Very nice for reading forums and the like. Well, when it picks the "next page" link over the "next thread" link...

OmniWeb has had that feature since 4.x (if not earlier?) - try pressing the enter key (not the return key - the enter key). It will select the "Next" page if there is one (though in the 5.5 sp's this isn't as reliable as it used to be in 5.1.x, from my experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
OmniWeb has had that feature since 4.x (if not earlier?) - try pressing the enter key (not the return key - the enter key). It will select the "Next" page if there is one (though in the 5.5 sp's this isn't as reliable as it used to be in 5.1.x, from my experience).
Oh hey! Cool!

Do you know if it honors a page using <link rel="next"> to specify the next page? If so, now we just need user javascript (greasemonkey, whatever) support so the scripts I wrote for Opera to pick out the correct link on some sites work :-D

I licensed every version from 3.61 to the 2003's version while I was using windows.

It is the key. When I moved to OS X , I saw their browser available. Tested it a while and I noticed one important thing: The OS it is running has huge amount of "frameworks" , "services" and being identical on all platforms, it doesn't have them (just like Firefox vs Camino)

I thought I am moving to a platform having these frameworks, integrated system and searched versiontracker/ yahoo for "Commercial Cocoa Browser". I really remember it word by word.

Omniweb appeared. I launched and I have seen every guess of me as a newbie OS X/Mac user turned out to be right. I also remember the performance (not page load), being more responsive on my G5 1600 having 256 mb of RAM.

Developers hate me for saying this but "ported" applications run like they have their own "island" on system. More advanced underlying OS is, more visible to eye.

As I hope I don't get misunderstood by Opera fans around: You may see me still supporting some very obvious problems on Opera official forums. E.g. double flash installation etc. I have nothing against it.

I would use/suggest Opera on 3 situations/platforms

1) Windows 32/64: Using windows frameworks=ActiveX=DCOM=Trouble. You can't beat Microsoft via their own frameworks. They have the source.

2) Linux if you are using/liking KDE: It is a very well programmed QT program. It shows the power of QT when coded by professional people.

3) Cell phones/PDAs= There is NOTHING to beat that excellency. Even Microsoft can't beat them with their billions of R/D budget. With the new Opera J2ME mini (mini java) they made another thing: Introduced www to any cell phone with amazing cost saving since everything is rendered on the server, sent to device with compressed stream, device is only responsible for forms.

The "rival" of Omni is not Opera, it is "iCab" which has its own customer base and focus.

BTW, if you want gestures for Omniweb (which is really a Opera invention/implementation on browser), there is AGAIN the OS X/Cocoa native advantage: Cocoa Gestures!

It is NOT a haxie. It is a input manager for Cocoa programs. Good use of Input Manager scheme built into OS X, thats all.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18404

There, you take advantage of using a OS X native program again. A input manager introduces gestures for you without hacking anything.

As I credited Opera for gestures, check the "free software world" with great, ethical , above us open source programmers: Did ANYONE credit Opera ASA for first gestures implementation for browsers? Or, did anyone credit Qualcomm Eudora for inventing first software based anti-phishing mail client? lets speak about ethics and open source LATER, another forum :)

Last edited by Ilgaz; 2006-05-08 at 07:21 AM..