The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating options? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In addition to the basic repeating options others have been asking for, I'd like to see an option to run an applescript when a task is completed, similar to what iCal can do with reminders.

This will allow those of us who have esoteric repeating requirements to solve it ourselves.

And yes, I did submit this option as feedback direct to Omni Group.

-dp-

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
I'm sorry, but this is insane: two threads on this, one almost 3 years long; Outlook can do it, and OMG Things can do it, but OmniFocus can't?

Ken? Are you there? This is INSANE.

OF is the reigning supreme king of the Mac/iDevice to-do apps, and it can't do this?

I was all ready to completely junk Things today, after years of using both concurrently, because I know OF is superior, and now I find out it can't do this.

Sorry, I'm appalled. Things is low rent compared to OF, and yet it can do this. Outlook is a disaster—a bloated piece of elephant rump—and yet it can do this.

Where are your brilliant programmers????????????

There are NO excuses for this.
I totally agree! I am beyond upset. The $10 app I purchased can pick up my daily tasks for M-F (sorry OGF but I don't work Sat and Sun and Im not deleting these tasks each weekend!).

Had I known this before I purchased it I would have never done it. What a complete waste, I could understand if this was something oh perhaps 1-3 months old, but 3 YEARS??? Really? I guess they just don't care. I think I'll go back to my $10 2Do task manager. At least there I can manage my to do's.

Beyond disgusted...What a waste of money!

And yet, some of us manage hundreds or thousands of tasks, many of them repeating, with very little trouble. Go figure.

The clear bottom line here is that despite the expressions of outrage on this thread, customers are asking for other features in larger numbers. There's no question that Omni could implement richer repeat options, so why wouldn't they do so if that's what the request numbers showed people want?

Take advantage of Omni's 30 day money back guarantee. Details on the website.

I was also astonished that the most powerful task manager can't set tasks to repeat only on certain days. I was about to post a thread but figured there must be hundreds of requests for this basic feature already, and sure enough there are. I'd like to add my vote for this critical feature!

This is also a major challenge for me as well. Omni Focus was recommended to me by a friend so I downloaded the free trial. It really is a great software, but the fact that I can't repeat tasks on specific days of the month caused me to thoroughly test other TM software first. If Things had a more intuitive use of start date I would have purchased it instead.

This really needs to be addressed. It has been requested for more than three years and is available by all of OF's major competitors.

need to be able to schedule x days in the week where x is particular day or on a certain day in any given month.

I am trialing Omni as I currently use "things" but I am not going to move over until recurring items is part of the funcationality.

Just for my understanding, I get it right that you are essentially asking for a kind of calendar view in which you can check off the days on which a given task should be repeated, right?

11 people from the company I work for recently attended a GTD seminar.

All came back excited, and looking for tools to implement. I suggested, OmniFocus, what I use.

A couple of people downloaded, and asked about repeat options. I said that repeat options were limited, and showed them some of my work arounds.

They left shaking their heads, deleted OF from their Macs, and went on to search for other options. I tried to point out OF's other substantial benefits, but I couldn't persuade anybody. ALL 11 people went with other choices.

Omni says this isn't a priority because not enough people are requesting it, but I would submit, how many users consider lack of repeat options a "deal breaker" and don't use OF long enough to request it?

I know this is based on an a statistical sample bordering on the irrelevant, and maybe it has been proposed before -- I haven't read the entire thread(s) on the subject. I just thought I would throw it out there.

I think OF is an amazing GTD tool, but how much better would it be, with robust scheduling/repeating?

ALL 11 people need to regular schedule things on "Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday?"

c'mon. REALLY? It's THAT hard to create 3 different repeating tasks in that scenario? How common is this, ACTUALLY?

I agree that it's be nicer to have that functionality. But there are many other things I'd put higher in the list, personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike88
... I said that repeat options were limited, and showed them some of my work arounds.
Repeat options you ask? Why of course! Here is where you set repeat options. Oh, repeat on a fixed schedule of certain weekdays? Certainly ... here is how you make that happen too. What ... why is it so complicated? Hmmmm .... well how many of these repeating type options do you need to set all the time. Just two or three ... no problem. What ... you say that you live and die by a Monday, Wednesday, Thursday schedule every third week ... then maybe you need a calendar scheduling app either with or instead of this top-notch GTD app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
... there are many other things I'd put higher in the list, personally.
I agree here.

I think the example is better viewed as an illustration that some folks have a mindset that will turn them away immediately when their favorite bell or whistle is not present in an app. It is just another example of leading thirsty horses to water that they then don't even want to taste (possibly because it does not make the right noise flowing over the stones).

The proper response at that point might be ... oh well, figure it out on your own time then. Here's a Windows 7 system for you to play with while you're at it.

But then, sometimes I get myself in trouble being slyly cynical.

That said, I too would like to have more refined repeat options on occasion (and have requested such at OG support).

--
JJW

Last edited by DrJJWMac; 2011-10-11 at 03:34 PM..