The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Launching OmniWeb brings up recent page, not designated Home Page Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you want to do something quickly, you can also hold down the shift key as OW starts up; that tells it to create and switch to a new, blank workspace.

You can also launch OmniWeb via workspace file:

~/Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5/Workspaces/

Double clicking on one of those will open OmniWeb up with that workspace rather than the last one used.

pgtratnyek - please bear with me as I try to be thorough -

A snapshot and a homepage are two different things in OW. When you take a snapshot, it saves OW's current session at that moment in time including tabs, other windows, and all currently opened URLs. Homepages are loaded when OW opens a new tab and/or a new window. So knowing that, this means:

1. I can open a workspace to always start with (the snapshot of) Google, but when I open a new tab in OW, it will always load (my homepage of) Yahoo for example.
2. When I start a new workspace it loads my snapshot, not my homepage, unless...(see 3)
3. If I want OW to start with my homepage on startup, I will need to set that homepage in OW's preferences as well as take a snapshot of it - for each workspace.

A key thing to know is that each workspace has its own snapshot, and each workspace can have the option to auto-save sessions individually.

This means that if I take a snapshot of a blank page in workspace 1 (ws1), that when I start workspace 2 (ws2) that I'll be presented with whatever snapshot was created for ws2. WS1's blank snapshot has no effect on ws2's startup state, however they both will load the same homepage (set in OW's preferences) on new windows and tabs.

If you have several workspaces available to be able to switch around while using OW, but you always want OW to start with a single blank page every single time it's launched, you'll need to take a blank snapshot for every workspace individually.

Posts 11 and 12 (by brian and troyb) look like they could be adequate work arounds for me, even if they are just work arounds.

What appeals to me most is this: I will try creating a blank workspace, then assigning a Launchbar shortcut to the corresponding .owworkspace file. Then I should be able to tell OW to start with a blank page by typing something as quick as command-space, owb, return. I think I might like this. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtratnyek View Post
I will try creating a blank workspace, then assigning a Launchbar shortcut to the corresponding .owworkspace file. Then I should be able to tell OW to start with a blank page by typing something as quick as command-space, owb, return.
Wow. This is really quite nice. I've set shortcuts for most of my workspaces (OWB for a blank page, OWN for news, OWM for webmails, OWW for website administration, etc.) and now I can toggle through them really fast without taking my hands off the keyboard (thanks to Launchbar). It's way better than the F-key short cuts built into OW.

Note one doesn't need to be opening OW for this. The shortcuts work to switch between workspaces while OW is open.