The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do you use Omnifocus when your workplace is PC-based? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all

My office is purely PC based, I was wondering how other folks in similar situations have adapted to this. I'm thinking about switching back from ToodleDo to OF, but I'm worried that the lack of portability will be an issue.

I have used OF before and I do have the iPhone client, but the iPhone app is a far cry from the Mac-based program. That said, I'm thinking about just bringing my MacBook to work with me, although that's not ideal.

Why ways have other people adapted?

Thanks!

I use the iPhone client at work. Sometimes I do bring in my MacBook but I've been able to survive pretty well with just the iPhone client. I go to a lot of meetings so it works out nice. Everyone has their pens and notebooks and I have my iPhone. Happy!

Mischka, if you had context-mode perspectives on the iPhone, and didn't have to do the bulk of your data entry via the virtual keyboard, would that be a workable setup? Obviously, it still wouldn't be as convenient as having the full desktop application.

If you can leave your MacBook running the Mail application while you are at work, you could use the mail processing features in OmniFocus (see the help for "Processing Mail") to let you do your data entry with a real keyboard and only have to use the iPhone to perhaps do some shuffling of the order. As far as actually executing the work, I find the iPhone/iPod app to be pretty good, myself; it's doing reviews and building projects where the biggest obstacles are for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Mischka, if you had context-mode perspectives on the iPhone, and didn't have to do the bulk of your data entry via the virtual keyboard, would that be a workable setup? Obviously, it still wouldn't be as convenient as having the full desktop application.

If you can leave your MacBook running the Mail application while you are at work, you could use the mail processing features in OmniFocus (see the help for "Processing Mail") to let you do your data entry with a real keyboard and only have to use the iPhone to perhaps do some shuffling of the order. As far as actually executing the work, I find the iPhone/iPod app to be pretty good, myself; it's doing reviews and building projects where the biggest obstacles are for me.
Thanks both of you.

@whpalmer4. I would love to have a context-mode perspectives on the iPhone. Is that available? As for leaving my MacBook on indefinitely, I did that to input new items but I stopped as I was worried I'd burn out the machine; is that a unwarranted fear?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to do project planning on the iPhone app, if I can't have my MacBook w/ me. I think it's relatively easy to punch through Next Actions on the iPhone app, but actually figuring out what are the following actions and reviewing reference items that are on OF, that's a problem on the iPhone app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
@whpalmer4. I would love to have a context-mode perspectives on the iPhone. Is that available?
Not yet, but soon. It does exist!
Quote:
As for leaving my MacBook on indefinitely, I did that to input new items but I stopped as I was worried I'd burn out the machine; is that a unwarranted fear?
I don't think there's any cause for concern if the machine is just sitting idle, with the display dimmed or off. I've got a 37 month old MacBook that probably hasn't had more than a handful of days yet where it didn't get at least 10 hours of hard use, plus quite a few bumps and knocks being carried and used everywhere. If the fan isn't coming on, I doubt there is any problem.
Quote:
Ideally, I'd like to be able to do project planning on the iPhone app, if I can't have my MacBook w/ me. I think it's relatively easy to punch through Next Actions on the iPhone app, but actually figuring out what are the following actions and reviewing reference items that are on OF, that's a problem on the iPhone app.
I'm not saying you can't do project planning on the iPhone, but it just isn't as convenient on a screen which is at best about 1/6th the size and without a real keyboard. But if you do your reviews at home/on the Mac, you can have your projects in good shape for just knocking off the tasks from the iPhone, right?

By the way, you've already got everything you need to try this workflow out, so why not give it a spin with a few projects and see if it works for you? If it doesn't, you can give more thought to whether you want to bring the MacBook to work or adopt a different system or find a job at a place where they use the right kind of computers :-)

Thanks again whpalmer4. I am planning on giving it a whirl, I have just the project for it. I think my OF system fall apart because I just didn't do the daily review. I didn't have my MacBook with me at work, which is generally when I'd like to do the review, so I ended up never doing it.

I have a creative solution to this (if I do say so myself).

OF has a wonderful export feature. One of the export formats is CSV (comma seperated values). It just so happens that MS Outlook will import CSV files into the tasks folder. I map the context to the "role" field and I map project name to "categories" field.

I do use OF on my iPhone, but while Im at work I find it easier to view my lists right in Outlook instead of whipping my phone out every time I finish a next action. I have custom views to show the next actions the way I want to see them. I have a "completed" view I use to mark all of my tasks complete on my iPhone at the end of the day before I leave work.

When I get home to my Mac, I sync up my iPhone and I update all of my projects in OF, and send a new CSV file to my work email. The next morning when I get to work, I delete all of the outlook tasks and import my updated CSV file. It's the next best thing to using OF at work.

At first I lugged my macbook back and forth to the office every day and used OmniFocus on it while doing most of the rest of my work on my company-issued XP system. When I got sick of lugging the extra weight, I bought a mac mini to keep on my desk next to the XP system. I use Parallels with an XP VM for most of my Windows work, but resort to remote desktop for accessing the real XP system when I really need it (some things require a system on our domain; which the mac isn't). I'm sure I'll get an earful if the IT guys ever find out, but it works for me (hopefully they won't read this forum).

The iPad with OF for iPad could be really handy for this kind of situation.

Michael