The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right context for "thinking"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to know which context do you use for actions when you need to think about something, to brainstorm any idea, or to study some info and make decision about it? It seems to me that @to think/@to study are not good and useful.

Last edited by vitvit2002; 2011-02-09 at 11:17 PM..

I have some contexts that help me separate the "Customer Service" side of my job from the "Managing People" parts. I know our CEO uses a similar approach to keep his Programmer and CEO roles separate in OmniFocus.

I know other folks take the approach of making projects for those items, then putting them on hold.

If a context like "Thinking" helps you keep your tasks organized and get more done, though, I think it's worth doing!

I use the contexts "Anywhere:Create:Brainstorm" and "Anywhere:Review" to use depending on how active my brain feels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitvit2002 View Post
I'd like to know which context do you use for actions when you need to think about something, to brainstorm any idea, or to study some info and make decision about it? It seems to me that @to think/@to study are not good and useful.
Well, it depends on what the critical resource happens to be for that phase of thought. For some people, at the gathering, brainstorming or reflective stage, it might be "bath", "hot shower", "mozart", "bach", "cuban cigar", or "worry beads".

At the summary and integration phase, it might be something like "pencil & paper", "large wall and sticky notes", or just "OmniOutliner" or even "large table with colleagues around it" ...

--

I have a context called "Decision". Sometimes I have all the info I need but I just need to mull it over for a while. I'm not so good with snap decisions. The Decision task is often preceded by Research tasks and followed by Do tasks.

For example, I'm remodeling and redecorating my house. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to replace my kitchen or try to dress it up. It's been on my mind for a while and will continue to be. The Decision task doesn't really require any particular place or piece of equipment. I just need to ponder the costs while imagining the potential results of each direction.