The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omni Group Application Interrelationships Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If there is a forum I should post this to please direct me where.

I run my own business with the need to plan at least a year or possibly more in advance, to implement and to delegate.

I've read the product details for OmniGroup line of applications, looked through the various forums. I have watched some of the tutorials and downloaded the applications on a trial basis.

The question I have is what is the functional relationships between OmiPlan, OmniOutliner, and OmniFocus, during which phases are each of these applications used, and are these three applications what I would require to accomplish my goals?

1. Essentially I have goals over 1 - 2 years.
2. Each of these goals have to be captured and analyzed, with estimates done, prior to any real work being started.
3. Resource planning and scheduling is required.
4. Tasks and task details need to be provided.
5. Follow ups are needed so that future goals or projects that are similar can use a template like approach.

So how do the OmniGroup set of applications mentioned above fit in?

My first assumption is OO feeds OP feeds OF, is that correct?

Sorry for the long winded explanation.

Just one person's opinion, but I don't think it's all as linear as you're assuming it might be.

Seems to me that OF is designed to be your personal anchor system for ongoing tasks, including things like "Draft goals for the year", "Estimate Project X" and "Plan and schedule Project Y", as well as "Pick up cleaning" and "Call Judy about Charlie's birthday party".

Brainstorming and organizing sound like good uses for OO. Formal project and resource planning is best handled in OP.

But you probably wouldn't want to bog your whole OF system down with all the tasks for a series of large 1-2 year projects at once. I think that's why a weekly review is important. It allows you to review and transfer tasks to OF as they move into a more active state, but not clutter your daily landscape with stuff you don't need to review.

It'll be interesting to see if any Omni experts respond.