The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus PC Desktop? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just signed up for the $3 a month account. All I want (at least as far as I understand the options) is to be able to access OmniFocus at work, where I must have a Windows machine. Would be more convenient to add tasks, complete tasks, copy in things from web sites if it were in a browser, rather than carrying around my iPad (not that the iPad app is bad , it's GREAT, but there are limitations that the OmniGroup can't get around).

Am I understanding Spootnik correctly? Has anyone had any data corruption problems?

Second, I don't understand the whole Basecamp thing. Basecamp is cloud-based project management? They are very successful and have additional "modules".
Is this correct?

PC at work, Mac laptop with OF installed, and Android phone...there's got to be a better way of managing tasks!

I cannot believe that this conversation started in 2008 (I think) and Omni have still not done anything about a web version. They could ensure that you had to have at least one of the Mac, iPhone or iPad versions to ensure people don't just freeride but how difficult is it to develop a web version that shows at least a basic outlook of your tasks and enables you to add tasks via the web.

It would be lovely to live in an Apple only world (I would be happy with that) but sadly a lot of us do not have a choice but to use other products (mainly PCs) at work. I moved from Toodledo to use Omni (I'm at home a lot at the moment but its a struggle to keep on top of my tasks as I have to use either the iphone or the ipad as my Mac is upstairs and I'm stuck downstairs looking after my kids.

I paid a lot of money for these three apps and I feel somewhat cheated that they charge so much and yet cannot provide what I feel to be a fairly simple capability (ok, I'm not a web developer but many much cheaper apps have web versions).

Just my 2 pence.

If you're within 30 days of purchase, they'll cheerfully refund your money if you aren't satisfied. http://www.omnigroup.com/support/store/refunds/

As for what other apps offer, they made their own choices as to what was important or feasible to offer. If the overall package is better, that's what you should be using. Life would be easier if one product was clearly superior in every way (including price), but that's pretty rare, even if everyone agrees what is most important (which is also rare).

Well, it seems to me like a lot of people (above) have made complaints about not being able to access their tasks via PC's so I think its a fair complaint. I'm not going to get a refund as I'm happy with the application. I just feel frustrated that when the only computer I have access to is my work laptop or PC, I can't sufficiently use Omni focus (other than on iphone which is laborious). I appreciate that they are very Apple focused, which is fine but surely they should also want a well-rounded product that is useable fully not only by pure apple-only users (as I say, at home now I'm fully apple oriented with a mac, an iphone and an ipad) and when I hopefully get myself a Macbook air some of my issue of nnot being able to access Omni Focus anywhere other than in my little office where my mac lives, will be resolved. But it still won't resolve the issue of when I get a job (currently looking) I'll probably be using a PC or Windows laptop. Then what do I do. Not use Omni Focus. That's what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishepherd View Post
Well, it seems to me like a lot of people (above) have made complaints about not being able to access their tasks via PC's so I think its a fair complaint. I'm not going to get a refund as I'm happy with the application. I just feel frustrated that when the only computer I have access to is my work laptop or PC, I can't sufficiently use Omni focus (other than on iphone which is laborious). I appreciate that they are very Apple focused, which is fine but surely they should also want a well-rounded product that is useable fully not only by pure apple-only users (as I say, at home now I'm fully apple oriented with a mac, an iphone and an ipad) and when I hopefully get myself a Macbook air some of my issue of nnot being able to access Omni Focus anywhere other than in my little office where my mac lives, will be resolved. But it still won't resolve the issue of when I get a job (currently looking) I'll probably be using a PC or Windows laptop. Then what do I do. Not use Omni Focus. That's what.
If cross platform is what you need, it would seem to make sense to put that higher in your decision criteria, rather than buying an application from a company who has been 100% Apple focused since, well, before NeXT was with Apple, and then complaining there aren't Windows or Android versions.

Just saying.

It's like buying a Ferrari and then being upset that there isn't sufficient trunk space. Well: DUH.