The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

SOLVED: Database can't be synced(use server copy or local) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Do any of you with this problem have iDisk Syncing turned on in System Preferences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Do any of you with this problem have iDisk Syncing turned on in System Preferences?
No, I turned that off a while back because of how flaky my connection to Apple's servers had become. Again, I think I may be running into "dropped" connections to the server that end up being interpreted as "simultaneous sync".

Just my $0.02...

J

No, we don't use MobileMe. We are syncing to Bingodisk via webDAV.

The interesting thing is that I'm not seeing this behavior when I use OF. Well, that's not entirely true - it happened to me once on each client a couple of days ago when the way OF handles the sync files/client files, etc. But since then, I've been running just fine.

Buy my wife says she sees it multiple times a day.

I have this problem aswell with MobileMe, with iDisk sync on and off. With the latest iPhone version it seems to happen with EVERY sync, with the previous version it happens several times a day (like a previous poster mentioned, particularly if I am making a lot of updates on the Mac)
Driving me nuts but otherwise I love the application.

It would be great to be able to edit the location based information on the Mac as well as the iPhone, even if it can't be used on the Mac.

Phillip

Quote:
I turned iDisk syncing off as well, as it (iDisk sync) kept getting confused and conflicted and failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclazarus View Post
I turned iDisk syncing off as well, as it (iDisk sync) kept getting confused and conflicted and failing.
Just to clarify: had you turned off your iDisk sync BEFORE ever having trouble with the OmniFocus sync issue? If so, then I think you've got a "problem" connection to MobileMe the same as I do, and I REALLY think that this is the issue that's killing our syncs...

I think we've found it! This should be fixed on the desktop in the latest build, revision 103333. (It will take a little while for this fix to make its way to a phone release; in the meantime, just Cancel rather than choosing Server or Local when you get this spurious alert.)

Quote:
This is most likely to occur when multiple devices sync at the same time. If possible, try not to make changes from multiple devices before syncing. When you finish using your laptop, sync it. When you start using your desktop, sync it. Etc.
Please also make sure you're running the latest sneaky peek. We fixed a few things in this neighborhood recently. (It may take a couple syncs after the update before things are sorted out.)

If you're getting the error on multiple devices and always choosing "Local", you're going to keep getting the problem. (It's like two little kids bickering "Do it my way!" "No, my way!" Until you coax one of them to give in, they're just going to keep at it.)
Hey Lizard!

This issues arises without several devices syncing simultaniously, too.
I am syncing one mac and one iphone. The iPhone's OF app is off, all morning since i got to work.
30mins ago OF Mac popped up with this error. I chose local copy and OF Mac started uploading the local file.
Right after the upload exactly the same happens again but there is no other device. iPhone OF is is still off (did not touch the phone) and there is no other Mac.
So, if my Mac uploaded and he get's the same error again right afterwards without other devices fumbling about i think there have to be other reasons that can cause this issue, too.

Cheers
Silvan

PS: The shot shows the second case of the error message. It popped up right after the first copying of the local version to idisk was finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 1.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	604  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorcork View Post
This issues arises without several devices syncing simultaniously, too.
Yes, build 103333 fixes this recent regression: a few days ago we fixed the case where something changed on the server while a sync was in progress, but that fix accidentally broke the case where something was edited locally while a sync was in progress—which was previously handled correctly, and is even more common.

Anyway, both cases are fixed now: you can edit on either side while a sync is in progress without confusing the sync into thinking that the other side has been reset.

(Unfortunately, it will be a little while before the full fix is available on the phone; in the meantime, I recommend pressing Cancel if you encounter this error there.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Yes, build 103333 fixes this recent regression: a few days ago we fixed the case where something changed on the server while a sync was in progress, but that fix accidentally broke the case where something was edited locally while a sync was in progress—which was previously handled correctly, and is even more common.

Anyway, both cases are fixed now: you can edit on either side while a sync is in progress without confusing the sync into thinking that the other side has been reset.

(Unfortunately, it will be a little while before the full fix is available on the phone; in the meantime, I recommend pressing Cancel if you encounter this error there.)
Quick follow-up question: when you say "just cancel that alert on the iPhone", does that mean A) that the sync has already happened, B) that a "good" sync will be possible the next time I trigger a sync, or C) a "good" sync will happen at the next automatic sync? In the case of B, I have never found that to be the case.