The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why do "due items" disappear when I close the OF window? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinwhite View Post
Unfortunately, if you close the main window of omnifocus, growl notifications stop working too. So if I forget to 'hide' OF via cmd+H, and close it instead i don't get a growl pop-up for an item's status turning 'due soon' or 'overdue'. Practically, if I open the OF main window at 5pm, i get the overdue notification for something that I ought to have seen at 2pm.
Right, I think closing the last window closes the database but not the application itself. It doesn't behave like I'd expect either.

I hope they will change it soon..

Me too.

If you don't have a window open, we don't know which database to pull notifications from. As was mentioned in a previous post, you can have multiple OmniFocus databases.

Last time I discussed this with Ken, his suggestion was to leave a window open and use something like Spirited Away to hide OmniFocus when it's idle.

Edit: Huh, whaddaya know... looked this up in the feature request database, and it looks like there are plans to change it after all. Leaving the Spirited Away suggestion in place as a workaround for folks encountering this now.

Last edited by Brian; 2009-01-14 at 04:15 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If you don't have a window open, we don't know which database to pull notifications from. As was mentioned in a previous post, you can have multiple OmniFocus databases.
I can see how multiple databases can be a problem. However, most people use OF with just one database. Probably, you can have a preference setting where the user can set one database as the default one for notifications.

I'd be happy with a warning dialogue that popped up when closing the last open window, which included the option to keep the database open.

You could use my Close Excess Windows script, posted here, and bind it to a button on the toolbar (see View->Customize Toolbar). If you can convince your fingers to click on that button (which you could place underneath the standard close button), it would prevent you from inadvertently closing the last window. I doubt Omni is going to tinker with the code at all before they issue a proper fix for the problem, but that might be a while yet, especially if you don't want to run alpha/beta test software.

Thanks, I've set that up. I usually close windows with Cmd-W, so I've set up a Quicksilver trigger that sets off your script with that shortcut (using Quicksilver triggers' "scope" function to restrict it to when OmniFocus is active).

Still hoping for a change in a future OmniFocus version, so that I can clean up my crowded toolbar.

Oh, that's a clever idea! I use QS, but have yet to try out the keyboard shortcuts.

I agree that an Omni-provided solution will probably be the cleanest for most people, but why wait to fix the problem if it isn't necessary to do so, and it won't cause appreciable extra work?

The number on my OF dock icon being what it is, I don't need the reminder that there's still work to be done -- I know there's work to be done -- I think the last time there legitimately wasn't a red number there was a few minutes before I downloaded the first version that supported putting the overdue items count there :-)