The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What to do when WebDAV is down? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just got an email from the IT department at my university informing me the WebDAV/fileserver that hosts my sync file went down this morning and will continue to be down until late Sunday night. They're also making no promises on restoring my data. I don't have any idea when my latest sync happened - probably when I left work Thursday evening. I typically do my weekly review on Saturday mornings, so this is causing me a bit of anxiety.

I need some advice on how to continue to get stuff done while my WebDAV server is down. I use syncing with my work computer and my laptop, so there's no iDevices involved. Both machines are up to date with the current full point releases of OmniFocus (not betas).

? Should I keep working on Onmifocus on my local machine and ignoring all of the sync errors?
? Should I disable syncing until I get a message from IT that the WebDAV server is available?
? Should I keep some special backups or additional backups in case my .ofocus file on the DAV isn't restored on Sunday?
? Should I do my weekly review, knowing full well that I'll add a bunch of new data, delete some old data and update pretty much all of my projects?

You should be able to work on both and ignore the errors, and everything will sync up just fine when the server is back up.

Obviously, data won't be synched before that time. So work with this in mind.

I would confine my work to one machine until the WebDAV server is re-established. That way, if they aren't able to recover your data on the server, you can start fresh from the machine you were working on without losing any of either your previous work or the work done since last sync.

Curt

Thanks for your comments. In order to follow up on my outcomes, I did work on one machine throughout the weekend, including my weekly review. When the WebDAV server came back online on Sunday night, I was able to sync everything back to the server. Then, when I returned to my job on Monday morning, OF recognized the server copy and the local copy were very different and asked if I wanted to use the local copy or the server copy. I overwrote the local copy with the server copy and VOILA! Everything is back to normal.

I guess the important points from my experience were:
- If the WebDAV server goes down, restrict OF work to one machine.
- Once the webDAV server is back up, sync the one machine you've been working on first, then sync all of the other machines.
- I'm glad, in this situation, that I wasn't working on an iDevice, so that factor wasn't involved in the process. This would have been more difficult with >2 devices syncing to the WebDAV.