The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Choosing a Localization? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,
I purchased the iPhone/iPod version of OmniFocus and since my iPod uses a Dutch localization, OmniFocus is also in Dutch. Actually I'd like the UK version on my iPod, so I can use the very same terms in the GTD book and instruction movies.

How do I force my App to be in english?

Thanks.

Happy to be of assistance! If you'd like to force your copy of OmniFocus to use the English localization, just open up the following page using Safari on your iPhone. Once there, tap the "Use English for OmniFocus" link, and a hidden preference will be set on your phone.

The page you want:
http://people.omnigroup.com/kc/Debug...eLanguage.html

(You can use the "Reset language for OmniFocus" link if you'd ever like to switch back to the default localization.)

Thanks! Works like a charm. I don't know if there are more users like me, which prefer to use the UK version to come closer to the GTD book but are using a localized iPhone or iPod. In that case it would make sense to add a button to the OmniFocus Preferences.

Speaking on Preferences: the OmniFocus Preferences are accessed via a 'i' at the RHS bottom of the GUI. However, I also have Apps which install a Preference Panel in the Apple Preferences. Your current method mimics the preferences of a Dashboard Widget, but using OmniFocus Preferences via the Preferences on your iPhone or iPod seems more logical to me.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainc View Post
Speaking on Preferences: the OmniFocus Preferences are accessed via a 'i' at the RHS bottom of the GUI. However, I also have Apps which install a Preference Panel in the Apple Preferences. Your current method mimics the preferences of a Dashboard Widget, but using OmniFocus Preferences via the Preferences on your iPhone or iPod seems more logical to me.
I cannot speak to why Omni decided to include the preferences inside OmniFocus, but I can add why I think it is a great idea. There are times when I want to toggle a preference to mimic a Perspective, such as cycling between the various "In Projects, show:" options. Doing this would not be feasible if I had to exit OF, launch the Preference Panel, make the change, exit Preference Panel, launch OF, and on and on.

Using the fix leads to crashes when clicking on actions.

I would definitely appreciate language settings in the app as e.g. the german localization - sorry to say that - sucks. I guess most Germans would love to have their app in english as this is much more suitable for GTD.

Last edited by say-ho; 2009-02-11 at 03:34 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainc View Post
I remember Ken making a post on the forums explaining why it's set up like this. I can't actually find it, so take the following with a grain of salt: my memory is that we have to locate our prefs in the app because they need to actually execute code.

IIRC, the preferences app on the phone only supports toggling settings; you can't (for example) set up code that makes sure the sync address you entered is formatted correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by say-ho View Post
Using the fix leads to crashes when clicking on actions.

I would definitely appreciate language settings in the app as e.g. the german localization - sorry to say that - sucks. I guess most Germans would love to have their app in english as this is much more suitable for GTD.
We would be very interested in any feedback you have. We don't have any german-speakers on staff; we've had good experiences with other localizations provided by the folks we asked to do this one, but if there are problems, we would want to get them fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Happy to be of assistance! If you'd like to force your copy of OmniFocus to use the English localization, just open up the following page using Safari on your iPhone. Once there, tap the "Use English for OmniFocus" link, and a hidden preference will be set on your phone.

The page you want:
http://people.omnigroup.com/kc/Debug...eLanguage.html

(You can use the "Reset language for OmniFocus" link if you'd ever like to switch back to the default localization.)
Hello, thanks for the iPhone tip. What about the Mac version, can you change the default install back to English? I read the GtD book in English, and would prefer to have OF in English rather than French.
Thanks,
z.

I believe it works if you do a Get Info on the Application bundle in the Finder and uncheck all languages except English:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
I believe it works if you do a Get Info on the Application bundle in the Finder and uncheck all languages except English:

Worked perfectly! Thank you very much Jonathan,
zorbec