The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Re-using and auto-updating components Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi! I'm using OmniGraffle to do wireframes for web UI design. I'm wondering if there is a way to re-use components on different canvases. Re-use in the sense that I can update one instance of the component and every instances will be automatically updated. Is there a way to do this on OmniGraffle?

Thanks.

The answer, as far as I know, is partly.

The stencil feature essentially makes copies of items on your canvas that don't sync when changes are made.

The shared layers sync, but only sync at the level of the entire layer, not at the "object" you are likely thinking. Move things on the layer and they move on all canvases

SO if you can use the shared layers to create your objects, they will do the trick, but it isn't as flexible as being able to have objects that can be placed and moved in multiple canvases (like stencils) and have them sync (like shared layers).

At least that's how I know it

-- Morgan

I really hope Omni are busy working on this for a future version. It's a heavyweight feature offered by relatively few applications, and all information architects / user experience designers would value it immensely. It's the sort of feature that would recruit a great number of new users to Omnigraffle (who would otherwise go with Visio or Axure.) I for one would happily pay for an upgrade if this was offered.

I completely second the motion of having instances. I extensively wireframe web sites and after creating many pages the response time in saving and opening (as well as moving between canvases) is intolerable.

Instances could solve this. The other benefits are obviously immense as well (update only once, etc, etc).

Please, add this feature as soon as possible.